Fail to boot after root resize and bootable USB doesn't appear in BIOS list

I was receiving notifications from Manajro saying that the root partition was getting full so I decided to resize it. I booted up from an USB and deleted my home partition, resized my root and then formatted a new home partition. I think the process failed because of a misconnection of the USB and now when I boot it gives me a error saying:

[DEPEND] Dependency failed for /home.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Local File Systems.

and then prompting me to Give root password for maintenance, but it doesn’t recognize my usual root password. So I can’t access any terminal to try to fix this issue.

I think the problem my be some mismatch in the UUID from my partitions. I’m aware that resizing home partitions is always dangerous.

The biggest problem is that I can’t get my BIOS to recognize a bootable USB! This means that I can’t try to fix my install or simply reinstall Manjaro. I have already tried to dd two USB and they are recognized by Ubuntu in another machine.

Can anyone help?

install ventoy onto the usb, flash iso and try with it

1 Like

When you remove a partition and recreate it - the partition UUID change - thus invalidating your fstab.

The same may happen when you resize your root file system - some times depending on the direction of the change.

Live ISO - mount the root partition and enter the correct UUID(s)

2 Likes

Thank you for the replies.

I managed to do that and now I can boot. The problem now is that the GUI is different from what it used to be and when I access the file explorer I get a flickering widow saying Ups! Something went wrong".

At first I thought it was just because Manjaro couldn’t see some config files at \home. However, when I log in a terminal I’m at root and also there is no user folder at \home. Maybe I created the home partition the wrong way. I thought that I could simply format some unallocated space into a btrfs filesystem.

Do you know what might be wrong?

Sounds like there is a missing /home/“username” folder. You might want to remove the old user and create a new one as root since you can boot into it.

1 Like

My user was still there, but there it had no associated /home. I used mkhomedir_helper to create an home folder.

I’m now in the process of copying my directories back to /home. I think everything might be corrected now.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.