Epson Perfection V600 drivers

Hi, everyone.

My question appears trivial, but somehow I can’t seem to find a good answer. I am trying to make an Epson Perfection V600 scanner work with my Manjaro KDE PC, and have thus far found just one source of good information, posted at the archived Manjaro forum (URL Epson Scanner Perfection V600 driver - Drivers - Manjaro Linux Forum).

In that article, the poster indicated the only way to do this is by using “debtap” to generate an Arch Linux compatible installation package. So, you start by downloading the archived deb file from the Epson web file, named “iscan-gt-x820-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb.tar.gz”.

From here, it would appear it is just a matter of extracting the deb file from this archived deb.tar.gz file, however, when I do this, I do not end up with a “deb” file, but instead, with a “deb” folder which contains all of the files contained within the deb file. As a result, if I run:

$ debtap iscan-gt-x820-bundle-2.30.4.x64.deb,

I get a “Error: You haven’t specified a valid deb package” message.

So, the question I have after this all too long preamble is, how do I go about extracting the deb file from this deb.tar.gz file? I would normally ask the gentleman who made the original posting, unfortunately, the original Manjaro forum has been archived and I have no means to contact him.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Herlock

Have you tried using the iscan-plugin-gt-x820 AUR package? There are atleast no comments indicating failure to install and use, so it might be worth a shot.

2 Likes

I have in fact attempted that, but it does not work. It appears that Epson has updated its drivers since that AUR entry, and consequently, when you attempt to install it, the installation routine fails, claiming the MD5/SH256 checksums do not match. I then downloaded the snapshot from AUR, manually updated the checksums contained within the PKGBUILD script to reflect the correct ones, and ran it locally, but still, I cannot get the scanner to work. I contacted the AUR maintainer and asked if he could correct the issue, but so far have not heard a word back. Interestingly, when I run $lsusb, I see the V600 listed, but none of the scanning software I have tried (VueScan professional, Image Scan! for Linux, etc.) can see the scanner.

Thanks

Hello, everyone.

If there’s someone out there who can provide me with information on how to make an Epson Perfection V600 work with Manjaro KDE, I would be immensely appreciative.

I have spent the better part of the last week searching high and low for an answer, and unsuccessfully attempting to implement the ones I have found, and this includes information found in the archived version of the Manjaro Forum and elsewhere. Using a spare SSD, I installed Linux Mint 20 and later Kubuntu, and the Epson drivers for this scanner installed without a hitch on both, after which the scanner was recognized and became fully operational.

However, thus far, zero luck with Manjaro. I made a previous post here (Extracting "deb" file from a deb.tar.gz) but got no response that would work.

Again, thanks in advance for any help.

Herlock

Then flag the AUR package out of date so the maintainer is aware.

I already flagged it and contacted the maintainer a week ago, with zero acknowledgments. In addition, I downloaded the latest Epson rpm package, calculated the checksums, and updated the pkgbuild posted in AUR, and ran the script locally. While it appeared to complete successfully, the various scanning applications I have run in Manjaro fail to recognize the V600 scanner. As I stated, I have tried almost everything under the sun, and so far far nothing works, whereas in other, Debian based distributions (Mint and Kubuntu) there are zero issues. This is extremely frustrating.

Have you managed to make it work Herlock?
I’m struggling with similar issues.

I gave up on this altogether, not only because of all the continuous problems installing this drivers in Manjaro and the almost total lack of support.

The main reason I needed to install this Epson driver was to use my V600 with VueScan (I paid for a professional license). However, I noted that the quality of scanned documents and photos using VueScan was atrocious when compared with the same exact scans done using the Epson provided scanning software, which is, sadly, only offered for Windows (a Linux version is offered by Epson, but it’s extremely basic, with almost zero scanning option). I tried to get VueScan to help, as promised with the purchase of a professional license, but no help was forthcoming.

So, I installed Windows in a virtual machine, then installed the Epson V600 scanning software, and when I need to scan something, I just fire up my VM Windows, and do it all from there, and the quality is truly great, far exceeding anything I could achieve under Linux. I truly wish I did not have to do this, but, sadly, I found no alternative. And so far, I haven’t been requested to pay for a license of Windoze, so, it works for me.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for letting me know.
VueScan has been recommended quite a lot so I’m surprised to hear the scans aren’t great and you didn’t get the support you should have received.

I have been considering doing something similar by using Windows. What you’re saying reinforces that idea for me.

I think I’ll keep investigating a few options but I’ll probably go a similar route to you.

Thanks again for your reply :slight_smile:

To be precise, when I first contacted VueScan’s support I received a response from Mr. Hamrick, the application developer, who asked for samples of scans from VueScan running under Linux vs. Epson’s software running under Windows, all of which I provided. He then suggested various different settings in VueScan, none of which made any difference. He then requested additional samples of scans under various conditions, all of which I supplied, and after that, I never heard back from him. As my V600 scans beautifully under Windows with the free Epson software, I know it is not the scanner that’s at fault.

If you do find a native Linux solution to scan documents and photos with the Epson V600 that can match what the Windows/Epson software can provide, I would be very appreciative of you letting me know what that is, as I truly would like to cut my Windows use to zero, but haven’t been able to do just because of this single issue.

Thanks and best of luck.

1 Like

Thanks for the precision.

I’ll be sure to let you know if I find any solution that doesn’t require using Windows.

After having read your exchanges, the package provided by Epson (imagescan-bundle-debian-10-3.65.0.x64.deb.tar.gz) creates a folder. The README.rst file tells you not to use the .deb package, but to use their installation script: install.sh

Indeed this script respects the installation procedure which installs the driver then the plugins adapted to your hardware.

I’ll have another look into this over the week-end when I’ll have more time.
Have you managed to make it work yourself?

Hello Al451,
Thank you for your answer.
I am in the middle of reinstalling my computer system.
I finally got my scanner working under Debian 11.
However, I am attracted by the rolling realise policy of Manjaro.
So I still try to install it on a separate disk.
For the scanner, I haven’t tried again.
I’m looking for a graphical interface to see the list of Muon-like packages.
Indeed, the French language is not fully integrated. The advice windows are often in English and my Libre Office suite has its menus in English.
I am using KDE Plasma and although I have added the utilities metapackages I can’t find a way to solve this language problem.
I also have another problem concerning the font size of GTK applications which are no longer taken into account in the Plasma menus.
On my 4K screen they are really too small and force me to use the magnifier.
For the record, under KDE Plasma, I set the font size to 14 and 13.