External usb hd unaccessible

My external USB HD (used for backups) is unaccessible. I think this must have happened as a result of elogind installation. The HD is seen in Thunar but nothing there is accessible. Noticed the problem using Grsync while trying to do a new incremental backup.

It seems to be a permission problem as Grsync is saying “Operation not permitted” and “Permission denied”. I am new with chmod if that is what I have to use.

What error do you get when trying to access it?

Do you have correct permissions on the drive to view/read/write it?

I just edited my message at the same time you answered. How do I find the actual permissions and change them if needed on a folder in an external hd?

Try running the command to your external HD’s path:

This is what your command says:

drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 May 7 22:30 .
drwxr-x—+ 3 root root 60 May 7 22:29 …
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 7 22:30 backups
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 May 7 21:41 lost+found

Looks like only root can view the contents of the folder just before your external HD.
Where is it mounted and how do you mount it?

It is mounted at:

/run/media/username/701dad18-9656-48cd-a76b-3f5ee3b7f396/

I believe that I mounted the HD via Thunar.

Okay. If you want to be able to write into the folders and subfolders of it, do this command:

PS: setting 775 might not be safe overall, you should find out what permissions fit your use case. :slight_smile:

This will only work if you are in the root usergroup.

Else you should switch owner of the drive instead to yourself using chown.

To use chown, would I use the previous chmod command, but substituting chmod with chown?

I just entered this command:

sudo chown -R username /run/media/username/701dad18-9656-48cd-a76b-3f5ee3b7f396/

and it seems like it solved the problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.