External HDMI monitor full RGB range

Hey everyone,

I installed Manjaro yesterday and it made a really good first impression. There is a minor issue though.

I’m using a laptop with Intel HD / NVIDIA GTX1050 Ti GPU’s and I have an external monitor connected to it. Problem is that by default my monitor doesn’t use the full RGB range so the colours look washed out. I know that this issue has existed forever, encountered it on literally all linux distros (even on Windows you have to set it, but at least there is a setting in the driver there).

The command to set it to full range is "sudo xrandr --output HDMI-1 --set “Broadcast RGB” “Full” " which works just like before. However I would like Manjaro to run this command each time I boot up the system. I read that in Manjaro you cannot add a line to xorg.conf like before so I need some alternate method. I have tried to add it to autostart by making a file with this command in it, giving it run permissions but it doesn’t work, not even by double clicking the file. Why is that? What is the proper way to make a command that you can execute at each startup? I’m no linux expert but I’m sure there is a way to do this.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Try this:

1. Execute:

sudo nano --backup /etc/local/bin/full-bloom

to create a script that is system-specific and can be executed system-wide.

2. Copy-paste this:

#!/bin/bash
    xrandr --output HDMI-1 --set “Broadcast RGB” “Full"

3. Ctrl+X Enter to save

4. Execute:

sudo chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/full-bloom

to make the script executable for all

5. Execute:

sudo nano --backup /etc/systemd/system/full-bloom.service

to create a SystemD service

6. Copy-paste this:

[Unit]
    # Fabby: 2021-09-13: Set monitor to use full colour (full-bloom))
    Description=Full Bloom
    Requires=graphics.target
    After=systemd-logind.service

[Service]
    Type=oneshot
    RemainAfterExit=no
    ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/full-bloom

[Install]
    WantedBy=default.target

7. Ctrl+X Enter to save

8. Reboot

:crossed_fingers: