External display not detected with bumblebee

Trying to setup Dell Inspiron 15 7567 4K with Manjaro.

I read a lot post from the forum, and did not get it to detect the external display through HDMI.

With the HDMI plugged, when I boot on Windows 10, the display works.
When I reboot to Manjaro OpenRC, it is not detected at all

[root@nadir-pc nadir]# mhwd -l
> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:591b) Display controller Intel Corporation:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee            2017.03.12               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nouveau-bumblebee            2017.03.12                true            PCI
           video-intel            2017.03.12                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> 0000:02:00.0 (0200:10ec:8168) Network controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.:
         network-r8168            2016.04.20                true            PCI

> 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:1c8c) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee            2017.03.12               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nouveau-bumblebee            2017.03.12                true            PCI
          video-nvidia            2017.03.12               false            PCI
         video-nouveau            2017.03.12                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

[root@nadir-pc nadir]# xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 3840 x 2160, maximum 32767 x 32767
eDP1 connected primary 3840x2160+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 350mm x 190mm
   864x486       60.00  
   640x480       59.94  
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
  3840x2160 (0x48) 533.250MHz -HSync -VSync
        h: width  3840 start 3888 end 3920 total 4000 skew    0 clock 133.31KHz
        v: height 2160 start 2163 end 2168 total 2222           clock  60.00Hz

[root@nadir-pc nadir]# mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300
> Skipping already installed config 'video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee' for device: 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:591b) Display controller Intel Corporation 
> Skipping already installed config 'video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee' for device: 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:1c8c) Display controller nVidia Corporation 

after some xorg tweaks, Xfce4-display-settings” now with Segmentation fault

I tried installing bumblebee-nvidia after bumblebee-nouveau.

after a reboot, the main display is ok, but it still don’t detect external display

I tried some ideas from
TV is not seen when plugged with HDMI cable

Xfce4-display-settings exit with Segmentation fault

Xfce4-display-settings - doesn’t work anymore

Unfortunately, I never figured it out. I tried many xorg settings that I only had to reverse, messing up my kwin settings, so I had to go back to default… and so on. Besides troubles, nothing came out of it :(. So, for now, I let it go, hoping that I will fix it one day or the linux software will be able to run properly dell hardware (alienware in my case).

However, will be watching this thread, maybe someone will take a shot and give some useful hint how to set it.

That’s a bad news.

I hope someone somewhere managed to make external displays work.
I need it.

Hi,
i managed to get a working dualscreen-setup following the instructions on this site

hope it solves your problem

1 Like

That’s tough :wink:

reading.
Thanks

this is a proper nightmare.

It reminds me the old days, where you had to reboot to manage external datashow or screen.

not acceptable in 2017.

I think I’ll return that laptop and in the future I WILL AVOID ANY LAPTOP powered by a nvidia graphic card. Never again spending hour figuring out how to do basic things.

for the record, your link was useful
this was useful:

This not useful
A guide to Nvidia Optimus on Dell PCs with an Ubuntu Operating System | Dell France
http://www.dell.com/support/article/fr/fr/frdhs1/SLN298431/a-guide-to-nvidia-optimus-on-dell-pcs-with-an-ubuntu-operating-system?lang=EN

not useful. What the hell is this…
Switch Between Intel and Nvidia Graphics Card in Ubuntu 16.04 | UbuntuHandbook
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2016/04/switch-intel-nvidia-graphics-ubuntu-16-04/

If it’s of any use, I;m going through the same hell.
Optimus. Argh!
Tried bumblebee (doesn’t see external)
Nvidia plain (doesn’t boot to X)
Nouevau (only sees external monitor !!!)

bumblebee is an abandoned project. The guys at Solus have a working replacement that they are actively working on. Solus only for now, but worth looking at it. They seem to be killing it.

1 Like

I sold that laptop.

And bought the ​HP ENVY - 15-as110nf (sorry for the advertising) : perfect Manjaro box so far: Intel Iris, core I7, 16Gb, splendid 4K matte display.

I will never buy nvidia again.

ref (it seems the name is only in france):
http://store.hp.com/FranceStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=1GM44EA&opt=ABF&sel=NTB&lang=fr-FR&jumpID=af_hj7vryau8t/sf:_sku:1GM44EA&utm_source=affiliate&utm_medium=cpa&utm_content=product_feed&utm_campaign=LaptopSpirit&jumpid=af_389ek541wr/site:LaptopSpirit

here are my notes when I worked on it

Multi monitor setup · Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee Wiki

https://hemenkapadia.github.io/blog/2016/05/07/Ubuntu-with-Nvidia-Bumblebee.html

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.