Noob going further into linux discovery

I’m very glad to have shared with you a bit of the road on my Linux as a main driver endeavour. It has been a bit rough at times, to be honest, but also very informational.

as feedback :

• I’ve had multiple occurrences of updates that made the operating system to go unusable - for my skills and means (reboot, no gui).
  • programs that I depend on for which libraries were dropped out of repo’s and pushed on AUR.
  • I have an all AMD machine, and hardware decoding acceleration was dropped, messing with the use of multiple software, including main ones like Firefox.
  • i game quite a bit, on this old game that uses opengl ; it’s behaving like garbage lately.

I’ve been trying Fedora KDE this WE, as recommended to me by a more introduced friend. Perhaps I’ll go that way.

Thank you all for the work that you do. I hope Linux keeps getting traction.

I wish you much luck in your search for the better distro fr your needs/knowledge, like we all did and still do :wink:

In your particular layout (what you told us) i would highly suggest you to try an Ubuntu version.
As example: Kubuntu, which is the KDE version of Ubuntu…
The reason is that Ubuntu has a larger (maybe largest) user base with old and new hardware as any other distro out there and they make changes to the software used as needed. (More as any other distro)

Plus they are backed-up by most hardware vendors directly, whereas the other distro’s all just benefit from the work they do for ubuntu in this case…

Games: Just look in your Steam directory, in any distro, and you will find traces of ubuntu origins…

1 Like

Thank you for your kind suggestions.

I tried Ubuntu, Mint, and I do not like it. I don’t want a Debian based system.
Also, the game I use is not passing through a proton layer, it’s a native Linux install.

I still have to make my mind on Fedora, to be fair.

np, just keep in mind that all Linux versions, no matter what distro, are use the same software…
They just use different versions and some minor configuration differences of those programs :slight_smile:

I can’t comment on your specific feedback, but I’d like to clarify some terms that might help.

There are fixed releases like Fedora and rolling releases like Manjaro. At distrowatch you can search for additional fixed release distributions. A fixed release usually means the base system has minor maintenance and security updates for X-amount of time. “X” varies by distribution.

Linux is the operating system (OS). It has many applications. Linux is the top IOT (Internet-of-Things) OS. The raspberrypi is a hugely popular useful device that runs on linux.

A linux distribution is a combination of the linux kernel plus system and user software. There is common software among the distributions, like the GNU Utilities. And there is distribution developed software. A distribution can have a specific target audience. Take a look at distrowatch for a specific distribution and checkout the table of features where software is listed. Notice the common software among the distributions. It’s all the added stuff on top of Linux that makes a distribution, that includes organizational structure, doc, support, procedures, customizations, etc.

I tried Fedora KDE, and Clear Linux KDE - very interesting, but my Manjaro install is still performing better overall.

Just so you know Fedora has also dropped hardware decoding.

I tried Fedora KDE (you can find the result here)

I then went for Clear Linux, as Phoronix had good feedback on AMD platforms, and I managed to enable the KDE desktop, and It was an awesome experience. It noticeably enables scaling per monitor, and since I have a dual screen setup, different pixel count, same size, It turned the screen space usable and well adapted/adaptable on both screens. That’s the thing I miss the most. Sadly, other thing were lacking, since it didn’t pass the youtube video test (not working).

Hence, here I am anyway, having spent the time I had available for this exploration.