[experimental] Manjaro-Architect Test-ISO

development
netinstall
manjaro-architect

Well then in a perfect world, here’s what I want:
I want to download this 500MB iso, run “setup” and choose to install, optionally:

a./ Stable / Stable Official/Community desktop iso profiles. [Full/Minimal]]
b./ Unstable / Unstable Official/Community desktop iso profiles. [Full/minimal]
c./ Testing: /wtf is this ? :wink:
d./ mix-n-match within reason.

And I do mean a perfect representation of the existing Manjaro Official/Community iso profiles.
That’s all I want, a one-stop iso shop, which even though it would not really be the first of it’s kind, it would be the first of it’s “Arch”-based kind.
LM who ???

Well that’s exactly what we are developing here! :smiley:

I admit, your diplomacy is very recognized here.
:slight_smile:

I don’t really get what you are talking about here. Something doesn’t work with the download of git and the profiles in the live environment in a certain situation that you encountered. We will try to fix it, or maybe it is just something that happens only in your situation - up till now, no one else can confirm the issue.
In any case we are trying to fix the bugs we find.
Apart from that what you describe is exactly what the architect ISO is - no diplomacy whatsoever!

cool, that’ll be great for everyone, especially when it finally works, OOTB. !

Am probably not understanding this project and its scope. My question is will there be a way to use this non-graphical installer to end up with the equivalent of having installed via USB the current, large, Manjaro i3 .ISO, with the advantage that all the parts of the i3 installation will be the very latest–since this project will automatically downloaded all parts of i3 Manjaro at install time.

So that the installer can walk away from the initial, non-graphical i3 installation WITHOUT having to run pamac-updater.

Or, is this project only limited to installing some minimalist net version of manjaro?

The manjaro-architect installer will install you the latest versions of the packages defined by the manjaro-i3 profile.
As the i3 profile is very well-maintained you should never have any problems.

Yes, exactly. the installer downloads everything that you would have had on an ISO, just not in a compressed format, and then as you correctly say, already in the latest versions available and without the need to immediately update your install… :wink:
Also, the CLI installer offers more choices right away than a compressed image. You can choose your init system (systemd or openrc) and your default kernel during installation and you can use the same install media for any of our available editions.
Lets assume you have multiple partitions on your computer. You can just use the architect to install several different Manjaro editions in a row without even changing the USB-stick - or even do it by simply installing the architect on an existing system and install whichever edition you like to some other partitions.
Many new opportunities! :sunglasses:
The script needs a bit more understanding and is certainly less beginner friendly than a pretty graphical installer, even though there is a lot of quite profound information to be read during the course of installation. You may even need to go back and research some stuff before hitting Enter on the next menu entry :wink:
On the other hand you don’t need to download a huge piece of software like Calamares, and for so many of us Linux is also a great learning experience - this will certainly be one of these challenges for some of us :slight_smile:

bare-metal/GPT/UEFI/GRUB:

Stable Branch with STABLE Manjaro Deskop Profile:

rank_mirrors branch stable Traceback (most recent call last):
set target branch stable 
update profiles pkgs 
selected: [Manjaro-lxqt]

UNSTABLE Branch with DEVELOPMENT Manjaro Desktop Profile:

rank_mirrors branch unstable
set target branch unstable
clone profiles repo
selected: [Manjaro-lxqt]

The relevent output of the /.m-a.log’s are compared above.
Minor Suggestion:
Please have m-a.log log the correctly chosen Manjaro Desktop profile, be it, STABLE, DEVELOPMENT, or UNCONFIGURED. For example, in the cases above, although I’ve seen the same on several other installs as well, it should, instead, list them as:

selected: [Stable-Manjaro-lxqt]

Or,

selected: [Development-Manjaro-lxqt]

Or,

selected: [Unconfigured-Manjaro-lxqt]

…depedning on what branch of Manjaro desktop profile, or Unconfigured, that the User has chosen.

Recently most of my systems are now newer UEFI-based, so I’ve decided to make the dive into GPT/UEFI installs. :wink:

This maybe more of a question for @gohlip, but here goes:
Regarding “Bootloader” options:
During a manjaro-architect install, using GPT/UEFI, I’m given a “Bootloader” choice of systemd-boot, or grub.
It also explains that systemd-boot can ONLY be used with “/boot”, whereas,
grub can be used with “/boot”, or “/boot/efi” ?

My question is:
Would it generally be better to just use “/boot”, instead of “/boot/efi” for grub since systemd-boot will also work in “/boot”. ?
Sry if I didn’t open a seperate topic regarding systemd-boot vs grub, and /boot vs. /boot/efi, but I thought this does pertain directly to these manjaro-architect installs as well.
Thx.

I know it’s a little confusing and I think there is still a misunderstanding:
using development profiles has nothing to do with the branch chosen.
You can use git-profiles, which we see in the log as clone profiles repo and at the same time have selected stable branch for packages.
On the other hand you can have packaged profiles as in update profiles pkgs but use set target branch unstable
Those are different things!

As far as chosing Stable, Testing, or Unstable branch-base installs go in m-a, it does correctly outputs the detailed and correct choices.
I just meant that later on when I choose a “Graphical Desktop Envoronmnet” I have a choice of Stable, Development, or Unconfigured, -but those aren’t output in the m-a.log file, other than just saying [manjaro-lxqt], or [manjaro-kde], or …

However, your [quote=“oberon, post:112, topic:17661”]
using development profiles has nothing to do with the branch chosen …
[/quote]
is starting to make more sense. Sry, but I needed to ask that now, rather than pretend to know about it later. :wink:
I’ll read up on Manjaro-dsktop-iso-profiles a bit more.

will never be an unconfigured desktop, because it es the profile for the manjaro-edition.
When you install an unconfigured desktop it will just say lxqt …

It is better to use /boot/efi. This will install grub2 automatically and it will behave (to the user) as the grub in bios-legacy .

If you use /boot , grub 2 will not be installed and you will have to use systemd boot then. and unless this has changed (I don’t think so), you will have real badass problems getting any OS to boot. But you can try and I have written something about handling it here.. Be warned though, caveats (as written there) still apply.

ps: since I like you, :grinning: , please use /boot/efi.

ok, thx, that’s what I thought too.
but only after I read your post. :wink:

Anyway, I’ve been using /boot/efi, for grub2, and it works great, so far.
Partitioning is so much easier in GPT/UEFI, especially when it comes to installing dozens of bootable desktop environments, each with it’s own “/” partition, on a single drive.
But fsck, this is gonna make me distro-hop like crazy again. :frowning:
:slight_smile:

The funny thing is, had just decided “this operating system experience could not get any better”. A little bit like the U.S. Patent Office, which decided around 1890 that there might be nothing left to invent (probably just after urban electricity become commercially usable).

Hope to dive into this and give some useful feedback. Am appreciative of the Manjaro team’s thoughtfulness, beyond “merely” hard work.

OK, a nanoscopic bit of feedback. Seems to me that it would be way down on the priority list to make the Architect install be available for 32 bits. Because there are already great 32-bit “monolithic .iso’s” for that infrequent case (have only done one (1) 32-bit install in the last year).

A better priority would be 128-bit install version. OK just kidding, there is no such thing as a 128-bit processor widely/commercially available.

Hmm, wish the first post in this thread had handily linked to the Manjaro Architect beta testing announcement.

Having used the Architect installer, spending 2 hours on a single install with many tiny downloads, now have more admiration for what Calamares does (and how quickly pamac-updater does its job).

The Architect installer is quite educational, had no idea how many decisions might go into an install–and in what order.

A cool project and installer to run, when you have a couple of hours to spend on a super-detailed install.
/Russell

We are just in the process of stripping the installer down :wink:
You now have the choice in the beginning between the Regular and the Advanced tour … still, yes, you have many choices available, and many decisions to make still … :smiley:

Since the entire 32-bit repo is gonna shut down and get removed in November, it is not really viable to actually do those on a new project anymore.
@philm even stated that Manjaro 17.0 would probably be the last one to even get a 32-bit ISO from the Manjaro Team.

Next time its only mins + when it becomes final it will self update meaning you don’t have to keep downloading the installer that means you don’t have to download install media then immediately download a swaf of updates and you get a system built by you , not dictated by somebody else.