[experimental] Manjaro-Architect Test-ISO

Time for me to test this ISO to install BSPWM + Budgie + maybe Gnome on a new machine.

Just released 0.8.1 with a lot of recent additions and fixes.
Wait for that one in case you haven’t started, yet!
It also has the German translation added :slight_smile:

I hadalready started with manjaro-architect 0.8.0-3
But it was OK, only UEFI partitioning with fdisk and parted is not easy. If someone created a TUI for that, that would be a useful thing.
The menu is fine, less distracting notifications, no glitches with bspwm & systemd.

I agree with you. I found cgdisk a little but easier to deal with UEFI partitioning than parted and frisk. The only issue I had with cgdisk is it lists blocks and not bytes. On e I figured out how to convert gb to blocks it became very easy.

Just wanted to give my review on this since this is a new tool.
After beeing unable to install manjaro for a week due to kernel panic caused by free and non free gpu drivers, I saw somewhere a mention of manjaro architect and decided to give it a shot. With the new installer, I was able to install manjaro without any drivers with the 4.9 kernel.
The only problem was connman, wich I chose when installing manjaro. Only the nm-applet was provided, I installed the lxqt applet in order to get it to work. Other then that, everything worked like a charm.
Most thanks for the manjaro architect.

Downloaded latest iso and installed it in Virtual Box.

Installation worked well, no apparent issues. I had an experience with Arch Architect in the past so I wasn’t paying too much attention and didn’t read all the descriptions, just went with my gut and with options I saw and it seems it went well. I installed Gnome DE and see no issues (aside gnome extension site not working, but I assume it’s probably because of VB).

Comparing to old Net install: installer looks more advances, features rich to the point it may easily confuse novice users. It also surprised me at few points where I had no idea what to choose or if I can chose not installing anything. Unlike old net installer, we are not left with cli to install DE by ourselves, but have very detailed choices of what DE we want to install, should it be with manjaro configs or vanilla, full or minimal? I loved that part. Manjaro-Architect seems like a net installer on steroids - it gives us much more options, being at the same time less novice friendly, but I don’t find it as a negative, in fact, I like it.

No bugs or issues to report ;D.

Please tell me what ISO and I will move your post, because this topic is for installing from git.

I guess it’s time to make a new announcement about the architect ISO in the near future. Right now we only have this thread although meanwhile the ISO uses stable branch and also the installer has since been updated several times and stabilized meanwhile… :wink:

I used the iso from here:

I bet there will be some bugs and issues to discover (it’s too complex installer to see everything in one try) but releasing it to the wider audience will help finding them. I guess the beta in the name is appropriate

If you have used the Architect installer you would not have any problems. I personally think a lot of problems users are having is not paying attention to the installer ie not really intermediate users that have ever installed without a GUI. then it needs a few times practising to master it.
Just for the record The architect installer is back up and running it has a new maintainer,
My only involvement is from a distance now as I have kept the G+ page open for the users.
Sorry for the plug but this is Linux after all

It does offer you that choice!

You see what I mean users do not read or try before making assumptions

Requires a maintainer of runit and s6 on manjaro, its not in the repos. Would be some work to integrate these too, also in build tools and calamares.

Once you got the cli installer in a stable state regarding all the hdd stuff and so on, I can make it so, that buildiso writes a conf file for the installer if it needs one

Recent manjaro updates come close to eliminating libsystemd/systemd need,

lxqt-openrc is pretty much systemd free now. A few depends, which in reality required libudev/udev, but unfortunately covered by libsystemd/systemd in the pkg tree.

That is great news It is very hard Eric with his Obarun is very careful but some devs don’t declare systemd deps creeping in? and he has to repackage them to try to keep his little project going

I would welcome joining forces.
If two people maintained what is necessary, we could have a total systemd free tree. I know, its a pretty heavy burden to eliminate systemd depends, especially, if its kind of useless excercise, because some of them need udev, not systemd.
So its basically kicking out pure depends sometime, not even altering make args or so.

The lxqt live session looks like this…

$ pactree -r libsystemd
libeudev-systemd provides libsystemd
│ └─dhcpcd-openrc
│ ├─nfs-utils
│ │ └─nfs-utils-openrc
│ └─rpcbind-openrc
│   └─nfs-utils-openrc

$ pactree -r systemd
eudev-systemd provides systemd
│ ├─cryptsetup
│ │ └─cryptsetup-openrc
│ ├─device-mapper-openrc
│ │ ├─cryptsetup-openrc
│ │ ├─lvm2-openrc
│ │ └─nfs-utils-openrc
│ ├─dmraid
│ ├─grub
│ │ └─grub-theme-live
│ ├─lvm2
│ │ └─lvm2-openrc
│ ├─nfs-utils
│ │ └─nfs-utils-openrc
│ └─parted
│   └─kpmcore
│     ├─calamares
│     └─partitionmanager
│ ├─libqmi
│ │ └─modemmanager
│ └─modemmanager
│ └─solid
│   ├─calamares
│   ├─kio
│   │ ├─kdeclarative
│   │ │ └─kcmutils
│   │ │   └─kde-cli-tools
│   │ │     └─partitionmanager
│   │ ├─kinit
│   │ │ └─kio
│   │ └─kpmcore
│   ├─lxqt-panel
│   └─lxqt-powermanagement
│ ├─linux49
│ │ ├─linux49-broadcom-wl
│ │ ├─linux49-ndiswrapper
│ │ ├─linux49-r8168
│ │ ├─linux49-rt3562sta
│ │ ├─linux49-virtualbox-guest-modules
│ │ │ └─virtualbox-guest-utils
│ │ └─manjaro-system
│ │   ├─avahi-openrc
│ │   ├─elogind-openrc
│ │   ├─mhwd
│ │   ├─networkmanager-openrc
│ │   └─octopi
│ ├─manjaro-system
│ └─mkinitcpio-openswap
│   └─calamares
│ └─manjaro-system

Most of them udev depends, some systemd depends I can take advantage of since elogind.

At the moment it doesn’t need one, but we are working on adding support for one. But it is going to take some time to get there. Right now it just lets user choose everything.

all this package are currently and maintainer on my github appart xf86-video-amdgpu. parted and grub depends of device-mapper in reality. May be centralise stuff like this can be good for users ;).

So, personnaly i do not implement service onto the packages, this is more easier to switch between init, but it’s my point of view…

I have not done so either.
So lets join forces and centralize first ppkgbuilds?

I was gonna add device-mapper-nosystemd, but another maintainer would improve things. I hesitate to add further builds, because the list has grown to a level, I can’t maintain alone in the long run.

@obarun @artoo

I have 2 hybrid manjaro/obarun running on VB (one from openrc and one from systemd), can do some tests if needed.