[Experiment] Using an Odroid N2 as my desktop

I haven’t had time to use the PBP much lately. Let alone make checks on Wayfire specifically.
But improvements on that image are definitely on my mind :smiley:

PS:
For stability… Personally, I find it more stable than Plasma or XFCE. I compile stuff only in tty2 or Wayfire. It’s not feature rich (cough, I use nmtui for wifi connection as there is no widget, cough) but I have no complaints when it comes to being stable

Week 4 update

Okay, after 4 weeks usage a few things have changed.

1. Panfrost now works, with mesa-git.
  2. Device now has 1-2 second lag every 10-15 seconds, making doing anything very annoying. I suspect my eMMC might be at cause.
  3. Ethernet speed is back to normal.

Hm. Changing keyboard and mouse, seems to have solved item number 2 in the above list.

1 Like

Hi,

The Odroid n2 user I am is late to post a message, sorry, congratulation for this topic and the reports.

The wifi and the sound are working with the usb modules devices, design and sell by Hardkernel.

Sorry for the sale links, but it’s the only solutions I found to solve those missing modules.

I don’t use Wifi on this device, as I have an ethernet available, but I do use USB headphones, which works flawlessly. :slight_smile:
It is just the onboard audio cards, that are not present.

I agree with you, I use the rj45 too, and sometime I need the sound.

A month in

Okay. The first month has passed. And a few things have been ironed out.

1. I finally got a bigger eMMC module, so now I feel like I have some things I can do, so I am not storage limited s much. 64 GB is still small though. :wink:
  2. Panfrost is coming along nicely. Bifrost support might make it into Mesa 20.3 release, or at least early support.
  3. I found a kernel patch to get support for 2K (1440p) monitors going, included with linux 5.9.9-2.
  4. Still no onboard soundcard detected. Asked @tobetter from Hardkernel for pointers.
1 Like

Do you still miss your desktop for some things, or have you gotten used to working on ARM?

Only thing I can’t really do, is play games. :slight_smile: Like Steam games that I use to play.

I am doing the same experiment at the moment but with a raspi 4b 4gb. Ssd connected to usb3 and you have enough storage space. But I would like to have a little bit more cpu power. The odroid n2+ looks nice but unfortunately it has only 1 hdmi out and I have a 2 screen setup.

Maybe the rockpi 4C could be the right thing.

Not a bad compromise, although I can’t say as I’ve tried it. I use a Pinebook Pro most days, and the only downsides to that are the keyboard and trackpad. Otherwise, it’s the same CPU and GPU as the Rock Pi 4C.

According Ubuntu 20.10 for ODROID-N2/C4/HC4 from brad. I was looking for solution to get sound on GT King Pro not sure it will work on GT King Pro but it seems to work on Odroid N2.

$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall odroid-alsa
load-module module-combine channels=2 channel_map=front-left,front-right

I’ll try running that command when I get home. Thanks.
I already have the N2 card conf file.

Are you satisfied with the amlogic 922 CPU (4 big, 2 small cpus)?

So far, I haven’t run into any issues with it. As it’s not a mobile setup, I don’t really care much about effecient cores, so the more performance cores the better. :slight_smile:

This does not work for me. It just adds a second USB audio input in Pulse.

What I am lacking, is the actual audio card being presented by aplay -l.

Thanks for the regular updates! They are really good :grinning:

About a week ago, we got he audio cards in the AMLogic boards to work. :slight_smile:

So all that is actually missing now, is Panfrost support for Plasma.

Is that on the horizon?

I heard that it might get into kernel 5.11.

Any updates here? Trying to understand the difference between panfrost and bifrost. Was thinking about getting a n2+ simply to get a a73 setup to play with. I’ve been daily driving a RPI4b with Manjaro and it has literally full support for all the hardware and has been a dream, but I could do with more single core and some more cores couldn’t hurt either. Been considering my next step being one of these a73 boards such as the vim3, odroid n2+, or hikey 970 (although the 970 is dumb expensive).

Wayne