Experience with architect Linux or other cli-installers?

cli
manual_installation

Has anyone tried architect Linux? Did you like it? What about other cli based arch linux installers?

I really liked when we had cli-installer. My skills/time are not not enough to write a new one from scratch, but repurposing an existing arch installer to install manjaro instead should not be very hard.

I would be interested in hearing opinions about this.

AIS aka Architect Linux Installer Framework works as expected.

It takes the tedious typing commands in terminal out of the installation BUT you still got a know how you want your installation - you must know how to partition your installation drive and in which order to mount the partitions etc.

It is one of my favorites among frameworks.

I have forked the AIS repo on Github

…same with https://arch-anywhere.org/
and/or Dylan’s https://github.com/deadhead420/arch-linux-anywhere

Or, one of the “original” post-AIF installer scripts here, which is what Architect based itself upon, originally.

A tetst would be easily done, install thealien installer in live session with pacman -U and see how it fails. At least this is what I would expect.
Last time I tested Manjaro CLI installer it failed mounting rootfs or s.th. like that. I think the folder structure and names are hard coded in the CLI installer, but the folder structure probably changed with some newer version of manjaro-tools.

I would just use basestrap instead of pacstrap. This should avoid said problem and allow installing different editions regardless of the iso used.

The only cli installer that ever worked for me was PacBang, which is an offshoot of architect…
Haven’t tried arch anywhere again, but i’m going to do so later today

I’m a fan of Pacbang and of Architect installer. Both deliver a working Linux system very well and ready to use.

Okay, I forked some github repos and downloaded arch everywhere and architect isos. I’m going to give it a spin to see if I like them too.

I think you’ll like Architect AIS. It follows the ArchWiki installation steps.

Regards

Just stumpled and hit this http://archibold.io/

Now testing architect by installing into a USB stick. Interesting to see if it handles bootloader installation correctly. I wish it would show output of grub-install command, since it would seem to fit the style too.

I like it’s transparency and how it explains what it is doing in detail. Not so thrilled about it throwing around so many languages in its ui. Although that is probably practical.

Okay, it works and even got the bootloader installation right with a removable drive. Interesting that it does not have user creation integrated into the installer. Setting up users and passwords is left to postinstallation.

It seems to lack some polish and basic features, but in general was very good experience. Not necessarily a suitable basis for a manjaro installer though.

I couldn’t get it to work all the way… again

I tried arch anywhere too now. Could not boot it from grub or from iso yet. I suspect I might have corrupted download. I tried running their script from manjaro installation, but all dialog windows (that I dared to try) were empty of text. Need to keep on experimenting.

Okay, you can get it to boot by manually setting the right label in systemd-boot. See here: https://github.com/deadhead420/arch-linux-anywhere/issues/76

It seems that the reason all text was unreadable in manjaro is that foreground colors have been set to weird colors. Looks nice on their console though…

+1000.

Never tried Architect, but I really wish we still had a CLI installer option, to allow for a more fine-grained control.

I really liked that you could install on btrfs subvolumes and edit any relevant configuration files. It also gave me a better idea of what is needed for Linux installation.

It seems both arch anywhere and architect have many features I would like to have in manjaro installer. Neither seems sufficiently complete or polished enough for official cli-installer. They would need more serious reworking than I initially thought. Maybe some parts of the original cli-installer…

My ideal cli-installer would have maybe

1. language and keymap selection of arch anywhere
  2. network connection step from architect
  3. mirrorlist and pacman key step from architect (arch anywhere failed because of this)
  4. partitioning from architect
  5. driver selection based on mhwd
  6. package selection
  • choose from different desktops based on manjaro editions. Includes desktop-settings packages
  • option to include packages with fzf (like in pacli)
  1. installation with basestrap
  2. some combination of configuration file editing from all 3 mentioned installera
  • architect has some nice security option suggestions
  • arch anywhere lets you choose your default shell
  • old manjaro installer had good quick list of configuration files. Worked better than the one in architect
  1. bootloader installation from architect

Or something like that. General style would be close to the architect, but with the level of polish that the other installers have.

I did try architect linux for about a month, on my computer it was rock solid and i could not complain, it also taught me some things i did not know about arch linux.

I like cli installers, i am testing Bunsenlabs Hydrogen in a virtual box and the cli installer was easy and intuitive but also Debian Jessie based.

Im in two minds at present, i admire openbox and the look and feel of bunsenlabs, not too mention the very low system resource usage, like under 500 mb with firefox running, 400 mb with vlc running.

Btw, does anyone know how mhwd is used manually with basestrap to install drivers?

EDIT: not so difficult it seems… https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Manjaro_Hardware_Detection_Overview