Existing Manjaro installation with BIOS/legacy grub - how to properly move on to UEFI grub?

Hi folks,

I have a fully functioning Manjaro system, installed in BIOS mode. I’d like to move on with my life and get rid of all the clutter on the NVMe and have Manjaro only, installed with UEFI grub.

❯ sudo lsblk -l /dev/nvme0n1
[sudo] password for *******: 
NAME      MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
nvme0n1   259:0    0 465,8G  0 disk 
nvme0n1p1 259:1    0   300M  0 part 
nvme0n1p2 259:2    0   100M  0 part 
nvme0n1p3 259:3    0   128M  0 part 
nvme0n1p4 259:4    0   146G  0 part 
nvme0n1p5 259:5    0  72,4G  0 part /
nvme0n1p6 259:6    0    16G  0 part [SWAP]
nvme0n1p7 259:7    0 101,1G  0 part /home
nvme0n1p8 259:8    0   1,1G  0 part /boot/efi
nvme0n1p9 259:9    0 128,7G  0 part 

The only things I care about are:

/
/home

Booting the live image in UEFI mode does not allow for manjaro-chroot -a, as mentioned in the wiki here - seems the script can’t find the BIOS install, which makes sense; installing with the re-use of / and /home leads to going over a ton of customizations.

What would be the the correct approach for preserving the existing Manjaro installation and switching from BIOS to UEFI? Would a transition like this lead to system changes, new UUIDs, for example?

Thank you and have an awesome weekend!

UPDATE:

Managed to figure it out. Had to create a new /boot/efi partition, set flags, manually mount required folders for chrooting, etc., since i could not get manjaro-chroot to work as intended. After this things seem to be running fine. One thing that made me waste a lot of time was a boot option in the UEFI, called “UEFI: insert-drive-name-here”, which supposedly does what it says, but it was a no-go, even with a proper grub UEFI setup and Manjaro as the “sole citizen” of said drive. However the boot option “UEFI: manjaro” worked.

Thank you, everyone, for the help and sorry for wasting your time during the weekend.

Cheers!

maybe this can help you:

and / or this

UEFI - Install Guide - Manjaro Linux 30

PS
but I never did this before

I did it a few months ago just following the guide on the wiki. Booted into live usb and created boot partition then used the guide with chroot to create/update uefi grub. Went fairly easy, I’ll try and find my thread on the old forum and link it

1 Like

If your disk is MBR formatted - you cannot - it requires a reinstallation.

If your disk is GPT formatted - yes BIOS can work with GPT disks - then no problem.

A post was split to a new topic: Convert MBR to GPT