Executing Dolphin as root is not possible

With the latest Dolphin update, this happens when you want to open Dolphin as root: “Executing Dolphin as root is not possible”. Is this a joke? What the hell??!!! :fearful: :scream: :rage:

Not only that but doing stuff like kdesu kate or kdesu kwrite also fails. KDE devs decided to up the security by hardcoding applications to exit if attempted to be run as UID 0, with much criticism about providing fake feeling of security when they’re aware of other, more sinister and more gaping security holes. We’ve already had a discussion on the topic of root editing related to this change (can be found here).

Unfortunately, there’s not much that can be done about the matter, except maybe convince yourself that you don’t really need to run dolphin as root in the first place.

A glimpse of hope is work being done on implementation of security mechanisms in dolphin which should provide the authentication prompt if user tries to invoke an action on objects which would normaly require root access, but that’s still in the works and there’s no telling when will it land.

Edit:
This reddit discussion best illustrates what I said earlier, one of the main KDE contributors, Martin Graesslin, is super determined to disable running KDE applications as root.

1 Like

for Kate we have solution:
SUDO_EDITOR=kate sudoedit FILE

for dolphin, I don’t think so. But I can run krusader root.

1 Like

Can shorten that by exporting SUDO_EDITOR variable through .profile and only invoking sudoedit FILE afterwards. Unfortunately, this wont work if you run sudoedit through krunner; kdesu created authentication dialogue whereas sudoedit doesn’t.

I found on Gentoo forum patches to undo evil (KDE devs) changes regarding the lack of ability to run as root. :imp:
(patches for Kate, Dolphin and Kwrite)

kwrite-17.04.0-allow-root.patch
kate-17.04.0-allow-root.patch
dolphin-17.04.0-allow-root.patch

EDIT:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark