Everyone likes download stats

Here we go for May 2018: Main Editions, Community Editions

Best, Phil

21 Likes

Download statistics of all the different desktops?
Linux Desktop Environment Survey

~7k per day. That aint nothin.
Also interesting to note is no real upsets in the DE ratios - they stayed pretty static in relation to one another throughout.
Oo, yeah add the CE’s :slight_smile:

0 Likes

@cscs: well, the community editions are around ~2k per day. Will do the stats now too.

0 Likes

Look at the high scores for the user guide, more than the software itself. People are reading (if downloading = reading) more than what they install.

0 Likes

Well, since put it now more prominent to the root folder, people may find it faster. The documentation we are also proud of. It eases the usage of our OS.

0 Likes

I know. Many times here in the forum we tell people to read the guide because there is a lot if info to be found in it.

0 Likes

They open it in the browser and then click the link again if they need it.

0 Likes

Doesn’t matter how they do it, as long as they read it.

2 Likes

A lot of downloads. They must be first timers. Manjaro being a rolling release, its one and done. At least I’m led to believe that. I only downloaded XFCE once, then I3 again.

0 Likes

Don’t forget the 100 downloads per month of manjaro32! :grin:

(and that’s with no advertising :wink:)

(though there are 22 downloads the day after I put a link on the manjaro32.org page… hmm…)

6 Likes

I download every official ISO in order to provide a torrent seed over my Raspberry Pi - I think that there are many people doing this as well…

0 Likes

but I see windows above linux! it’s a shame to interest other Linux users less

0 Likes

That would mean there are many more downloads than what is mentioned here. You download it once and are seeding it multiple times. Great to see Manjaro is so popular.

0 Likes

Not really.

The download stats Phil listed is for all files in the folders.
The .torrent file is also present in those folders, just like the .iso file is.
And you need to get the .torrent file, before you actually download the ISO via the torrent.

So adding the stats from the .torrent together with the stats for the .ISO would provide a pretty accurate number of total downloads. :slight_smile:

1 Like

When 5 persons download the torrent file plus the iso file and then seed them 100 times, those 100 are downloaded from the 5 persons and not from the servers, right? Or don’t I understand the concept of torrents?

0 Likes

Right. But those 100 persons, still need to download the .torrent file to receive the ISO via torrent. And that file is also located in the same OSDN folder that the .iso is. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Now I see what you mean. I stand corrected. Thanks @Strit.

1 Like

Just consider to ask 5$ per download.
Advice from BG

0 Likes

and please setup a patreon, I think many of us will be willing to donate a couple of dollars each month for such a great distro, see how solus, elementary os and ubuntu mate do it, even mint.

1 Like

You can already donate via PayPal or direct money transfer: https://manjaro.org/donate/

0 Likes