/etc/sddm.conf executable permission?

while trying to fix issues after the recent update that prevents login to dekstop on the computer I noticed that /etc/ssdm.conf is unexpectedly set to be executable to all

ll /etc/sddm.conf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 616 15 mai   21:44 sddm.conf*

seems odd to me that a conf file would have the executable permission, wondering if this is only on this machine for some unexplained reason, or it is on purpose.

It is odd.
Are you sure you did not do that yourself?

$ ls -l /etc/sddm.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 775 May  1 14:15 /etc/sddm.conf
1 Like

ll
is probably an alias - as it is not an existing command

for me, too, the result of:
ls -al /etc/sddm.conf*
(with the wildcard *)

is:

ls -al /etc/sddm.conf*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1068 13. Mai 13:26 /etc/sddm.conf

/etc/sddm.conf.d:
total 24
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 13. Mai 13:26 .
drwxr-xr-x 109 root root 12288 15. Mai 23:10 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 root root    23  1. Mai 23:09 00_manjaro_settings.conf
-rw-r--r--   1 root root    31  1. Mai 23:09 virtualkeyboard.conf

This is off-topic, but just to clarify, I think the * here is just an indicator, i.e. ll is an alias for ls -lF or similar.

Append a character to each file name indicating the file type. Also, for regular files that are executable, append ‘*’. The file type indicators are ‘/’ for directories, ‘@’ for symbolic links, ‘|’ for FIFOs, ‘=’ for sockets, ‘>’ for doors, and nothing for regular files.

ok - I got it now
I somehow read it the other way around - as the command with a wildcard appended
sorry and thank you

I only looked it up because I had the exact same initial reading as you, but then it triggered a vague recollection of indicators.

1 Like

I am simple.
I saw 2 ls, with the assumption being its ls … so … ls -l. :sweat_smile:

my alias for ll is a simple ls -lh

the sddm.conf* in the ls -lh results is an indicator meaning the file is executable.

I have not made that change, but this is not my own computer, I only provide occasional maintenance of the system. I also found an old sddm.conf.pacsave from 7 years back that also had the executable bit set.

I removed the executable bit from sddm.conf as this has no reason to be set. I may investigate later on, looking into archived backup and see when this was made.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.