/etc/modprobe.d vs. /etc/modules-load.d

Trying to configure a wacom graphic tablet reading the arch wiki articles related to, i got a bit confused about this problem:

What’s the difference in function of /etc/modprobe.d and /etc/modules-load.d ?

As far as i understand /etc/modules-load.d is read by systemd to, e.g. , load or blacklist explicitely modules on boot. /etc/modprobe.d is used to define options of modules loaded.

BUT: In /etc/modprobe.d i have a file: linux54-broadcom-wl.conf which contains this:

blacklist b43
blacklist b43legacy
blacklist ssb
blacklist bcm43xx
blacklist brcm80211
blacklist brcmfmac
blacklist brcmsmac
blacklist bcma

The /etc/modules-load.d only contains an empty modules.conf file

Shouldn’t the blacklisted modules sit somewhere in etc/modules-load.d ?

Thanks a lot in advance for any illumination!

As far as I can tell files in /etc/modprobe.d/ directory can be used to pass module settings to udev, which will use modprobe to manage the loading of the modules during system boot.

modulus-load.d contains a list of modules to load at boot hence the name.

Hmm …

If you look here seems that also /etc/modprobe.d files do settings and blacklisting … pretty much like /etc/modules-load.d - which seems to be used by systemd … (?)

/etc/modules-load.d can only load modules, nothing more. You can’t blacklist a module and you can’t insert a module with special options.

In /etc/modprobe.d you can blacklist a module, you can crate an alias for a modulename and you can add special options for modules.

So basically /etc/modules-load.d can be used to insert a module at boot. /etc/modprobe.d cab be used to blacklist or adds options.

2 Likes