Errors on shutdown/restart - assistance required in squashing them

Hi

I switched to Manjaro last weekend from Pop-os and i’m loving it so far. Just a couple of issues i’ve noticed mainly when I shutdown/restart:

I’m seeing the below errors when I power down, and (seeminlgly since this morning) when i attempt to logout of my session:

[Numbered so i can reference them below]

[0] /dev/sda2: clean, 735729/14131200 files, 20107500/56505268 blocks
[1] [FAILED Failed to start pkgfile database update
[2] [FAILED] Failed to mount /media/*****/Backup
[2] [FAILED] Failed to mount /media/*****/Media

[0] Has always been there since I initially installed Manjaro. I’m assuming this maybe has something to do with additional disks I have? Manjaro is installed onto a SATA SSD, additionally I have two spanned SSDs (Windows span for my games) and an NVMe with Windows 10. So maybe this is manjaro struggling to manage the RAID disks? Or something else? Is there a way I can supress/fix this warning?

[1] Seemed to appear this morning after I ran a pamac update, there were many packages to update. Seems like I haven’t ran an update for a week.

[2] Are relating to my CIFS mounts (via fstab) My mounts don’t always mount, sometimes my NAS is powered down - again, is there a way to supress these failures?

So the main problem here is the extension to the time it takes to reboot/shutdown my pc. I’m currently using Manjaro KDE as my work machine, having to reboot first thing on a Monday morning after updates only to have to wait 20+ minutes for my pc to reboot is not really ideal so any suggestions on the fixing above errors would be much appreciated!

Thanks

That’s not an error message but rather a boot-time informational message that your filesystems checked out clean. This is normal, because Manjaro automatically checks the filesystems for errors at boot time.

The fact that you are seeing this message at shutdown is simply because the console buffer with the boot messages is not wiped, but instead remains in video memory somewhere in the background ─ it’s a tty, i.e. a character-mode virtual console, which is a very different thing to the graphical session of your desktop environment ─ and so when the system shuts down, it kills the graphical display server and switches back to the boot-up console.

The message therefore is not generated at shutdown, but at boot time. :wink:

Breaking this down into two parts…:

The Stable branch of Manjaro doesn’t get updates as often as Arch, because Manjaro is a curated rolling-release distribution. This means that new packages are tested much more extensively in the Unstable, Testing and Stable Staging branches ─ the latter is an unofficial experimental branch for those seeking to experience the bleeding edge in an otherwise Stable installation ─ before they are pushed out into Stable proper, and when they do, they are bundled together.

Three days ago, there was indeed a major update to Stable, as you can read in this thread here.

Bundled updates are always announced by way of such dedicated threads. I recommend that you subscribe to notifications for the #announcements:stable-updates category. That way, you’ll be able to glean some important information about each major update.

I’m not sure what caused that error for you concretely, but the cause could be a network problem, or perhaps a problem with the primary mirror in your list. You can usually resolve that by issuing the following command in a terminal ─ note that it takes a bit of time to complete, so do not interrupt the process…: :arrow_down:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu

If these drives are mounted via /etc/fstab ─ and that is really the best way to do it ─ then you can add nofail to the mount options for each of them. That way they won’t stall the boot process if they are offline.

1 Like

Thankyou for the detail explanation, much appreciated!

I’ll be sure to subscribe to those notifications thanks, i was curious as to where I could find information on the updates as i couldn’t see anything inside pamac (i’m used to reading through release notes before updating but work this morning kind of forced me to blindly update (i know, risky move haha)

Could you explain the switches on the pacman command? Is this the go-to command for updating mirrors similar to debian apt update ?

And finally thanks for the pointer for fstab, i’ll add that option and see how it effects shutdown time

Thanks again for the detailed answer and you assitances with this!

1 Like

Well, the equivalent of Debian’s apt-get update would be either… :arrow_down:

sudo pacman -Syu

… or… :arrow_down:

pamac update

Note that pacman and pamac are two different tools, but they use the same package management database. pacman is the original Arch Linux Package Manager (ALPM) and is a command-line tool only, while pamac was specifically developed for and by Manjaro and can be used both from the command line and as a graphical package manager, similar to Debian’s Synaptic, although it’s not the same kind of user interface, of course.

pacman-mirrors is indeed the recommended way of selecting and updating your mirrors. It has a man page, which will show you all the options. You can select the [insert number here] fastest mirrors, you can filter per country or per continent, and so on.

Recommended reading…: :arrow_down:

man pacman
man pacman-mirrors
man pamac

Perfect thankyou!

1 Like

This may be helpful for learning pacman when coming from Debian.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Rosetta

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.