Error: "systemd: /usr/share/factory/etc/vconsole.conf exists in filesystem`" after using pacman

Hey, so I’ve got the following error after running

sudo pacman -Syu glibc-locales --overwrite /usr/lib/locale/\*/\*

from this post (Glib update error)

systemd: /usr/share/factory/etc/vconsole.conf exists in filesystem

Unfortunately, this might be due to the fact that I’m currently in live USB boot and running the command in chroot. How can I fix this? Or is it easier to simply re-install Manjaro (I’m on a dual boot system)?

Should it be relevant how I got stuck in live boot:

This is due to a series of (as I now recognize) very stupid mistakes: I found the post with the fix for the glibc-locales problem after I had already temporarily moved the directory “locales”. That made it possible to start the update process, but due to the missing files it got interupted (unfortunately I don’t have the exact error messages anymore). This also broke, well, a lot of stuff (I could still start programs using the command line, but not the GUI). I then tried to copy the “locales”-files back, which worked, but didn’t fix any problems. I then tried to reboot, but, unsurprisingly, I couldn’t load the kernel. Yes, I’m a noob.

I would say your system is borked in a manner that a new install is the smartest approach. Backup your valuable data before you start.

Unless he uses timeshift…

Have you set that up @Oudeis ?

Otherwise, like above said. :frowning:

I’ve saved all of my data, but no, I never got around to using timeshift.

Is it safe to follow the steps used in this Attempting to reinstall Manjaro on an existing dual boot setup (Manjaro/Windows). Please help to clarify my doubts post? Or is there other stuff I should be aware of?

As long as you have the hang on how and what partitions to create, you can follow that. (correct flags, mount location etc)

I think there are better tutorials on the forum though, try searching for a [HowTo] post about setting up dual boot.

Also, I encourage you to think about using btrfs, timeshift works really well with that. ^^

Also, if you still have your home available, and it is a separate partition, you don’t need to remove it but rather just set that partition as home and your old settings will follow your re-installation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This one tells it all:

This doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, since that file belongs to systemd. So you had to do some additional who-knows-what.

So since we don’t know what you actually moved around, just reinstall all packages and overwrite everything:

pacman -Qnq | sudo pacman -S - --overwrite "*"
1 Like

This won’t delete/correct borked configs.

What borked configs? If he only moved /usr/… around, that will fix it.

We will see.

Looks like Wollie was correct, I somewhere along the way messed something else up because if I try this I get

error: extract: not overwriting dir with file /usr/local/share/man
error: problem occurred while upgrading filesystem
error: could not commit transaction
error: failed to commit transaction (transaction aborted)

Thank you all for your replies, I’ll simply try to reinstall, I think it’s easier on the whole in my case.

This has nothing to do with broken configs.

Add --ignore filesystem to that command and press ‘n’ when it asks you to install it.

1 Like

That did the trick. Thank you so much!

I have never been more happy to be wrong. :heart:

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.