Error on VirtualBox on Manjaro Linux

virtualbox

Hello,

I’ve been able to use VirtualBox on other distros (Elementary, Mint) but have not been able to reproduce success on Manjaro Linux. I have the following error and would like some feedback and assistance.

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/sbin/rcvboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT. 

What do I do? How do I fix this? Thanks in advanced.

in a terminal do

uname -a

it will show something like this Linux user 4.6.0-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon May 16 02:44:59 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux

In bold is your kernel version, so install the virtualbox host modules for your kernel number replacing 46 with what your output showed from the above.

sudo pacman -S linux46-virtualbox-host-modules

Now load your virtualbox module

sudo /sbin/rcvboxdrv setup

Virtualbox should run normally now - if not, use pamac and uninstall anything related to virtualbox then just install the ‘virtualbox’ package and it will do the above for you if you tell it the kernel version you are using

Virtualbox modprobe vboxdrv fails
What's the best way of installing virtual box in manjaro?
Virtualbox error
[Testing Update] 2016-09-17 - Linux 4.8, KDE Framework 5.26, Gambas3, Mesa

Thank you, this solution fixed my problem.

Regards!! :slight_smile:

Solved my problem too. That also clarifies all those numbered options I got in the package manager, they represent kernel versions. Thanks!

optics, thank you very.

It resolved my problem and futhermore, I understood your clear resolution.

Regards!!!

it works for me too! thank you!

Worked for me

Worked for me thank you!

ThankYou.

i think this post is outdated, its not working for me , when i installed virtualbox and try to run it i get

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

‘/sbin/vboxconfig’

as root.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

Virtualbox error when running VM

You’re unlikely to be running kernel 4.6 almost a full year after the OP, so if you just copied and pasted the commands verbatim they won’t work.

You haven’t said what kernel you’re running, but whichever it is you need to install the VirtualBox kernel module matching that kernel. VirtualBox absolutely, definitely, positively, does work.

this is quite a difficult task, ive been uninstalling and reinstalling different virutalboxes using pamac but nothing is working , i never had this problem in other linux distros, so this is really bizarre .
mine kernel says 4.10.11-1, but there is no virtualbox kernel modual in aur or anywhere else

Are you sure you’re running Manjaro?

For e.g. kernel 4.10 you should only need to install virtualbox and linux410-virtualbox-host-modules.

$ pacman -Ss virtualbox
extra/linux310-virtualbox-guest-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux310-extramodules)
    Guest kernel modules for VirtualBox
extra/linux310-virtualbox-host-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux310-extramodules)
    Host kernel modules for VirtualBox
extra/linux312-virtualbox-guest-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux312-extramodules)
extra/linux312-virtualbox-host-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux312-extramodules)
extra/linux316-virtualbox-guest-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux316-extramodules)
extra/linux316-virtualbox-host-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux316-extramodules)
extra/linux318-virtualbox-guest-modules 5.1.20-2 (linux318-extramodules)
extra/linux318-virtualbox-host-modules 5.1.20-2 (linux318-extramodules)
extra/linux41-virtualbox-guest-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux41-extramodules)
extra/linux41-virtualbox-host-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux41-extramodules) [installed]
extra/linux410-virtualbox-guest-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux410-extramodules)
extra/linux410-virtualbox-host-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux410-extramodules) [installed]
extra/linux411-virtualbox-guest-modules 5.1.20-0.3 (linux411-extramodules)
extra/linux411-virtualbox-host-modules 5.1.20-0.3 (linux411-extramodules)
extra/linux44-virtualbox-guest-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux44-extramodules)
extra/linux44-virtualbox-host-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux44-extramodules) [installed]
extra/linux48-virtualbox-guest-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux48-extramodules)
extra/linux48-virtualbox-host-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux48-extramodules)
extra/linux49-virtualbox-guest-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux49-extramodules)
extra/linux49-virtualbox-host-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux49-extramodules) [installed]
community/libvirt 3.2.0-2
    API for controlling virtualization engines (openvz,kvm,qemu,virtualbox,xen,etc)
community/linux-rt-lts-manjaro-virtualbox-guest-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux-rt-lts-manjaro-extramodules)
community/linux-rt-lts-manjaro-virtualbox-host-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux-rt-lts-manjaro-extramodules)
community/linux-rt-manjaro-virtualbox-guest-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux-rt-manjaro-extramodules)
community/linux-rt-manjaro-virtualbox-host-modules 5.1.20-1 (linux-rt-manjaro-extramodules)
community/phpvirtualbox 5.0_5-2
    PHP/AJAX web interface for VirtualBox 4.*
community/virtualbox 5.1.20-2 [installed]
    Powerful x86 virtualization for enterprise as well as home use
community/virtualbox-ext-vnc 5.1.20-2
    VirtualBox VNC extension pack
community/virtualbox-guest-dkms 5.1.20-2
    VirtualBox Guest kernel modules sources
community/virtualbox-guest-iso 5.1.20-1 [installed]
    The official VirtualBox Guest Additions ISO image
community/virtualbox-guest-utils 5.1.20-2
    VirtualBox Guest userspace utilities
community/virtualbox-guest-utils-nox 5.1.20-2
    VirtualBox Guest userspace utilities without X support
community/virtualbox-guest-utils-openrc 20170401-1 (openrc-misc)
    OpenRC virtualbox-guest-utils init script
community/virtualbox-host-dkms 5.1.20-2
    VirtualBox Host kernel modules sources
community/virtualbox-sdk 5.1.20-2
    VirtualBox Software Developer Kit (SDK)

His profile says “Other OS”.

i would like to be on Manjaro , But I’m running Antergos because Manjaro will not load up on my laptop. There is something very wrong in the way that Manjaro works, Manjaro is incompatible and does something different with their distro which doesnt work with my laptops , but apart from that theyre pretty much the same exact thing except for names right ? both are arch based , rolling releases, and have same AUR pamac respositories and stuff right ? i guess similar to how there are several ubuntu-based distros and all the commands and the way you install stuff works universally across them , google brought me here to this particular forum post, so i try to seek out a solution.

hope you’re not mad at me, but anyway ive tried all of the virtual boxes, installed, re-installed , restarted , and nothing is working

thats true, but i just never set that up yet , is there a way to turn my Antergos install into a manjaro install through a command and thorugh repositories maybe ?

While Antergos and Manjaro are both arch based, they’re quite different from one another.
So, no, you can’t make Antergos to Manjaro without reinstalling using a Manjaro iso.

Funny, for me Antergos didn’t work on my Pc, and therefore I went for Manjaro.

I always make this comparison:
Debian is comparable to Arch Linux,
Ubuntu to Antergos,
And Linux Mint to Manjaro.

closed #19