Error lib32-libcap on chroot while fixing linux

Hello everyone,
So something inside my linux installation messed up, and grub does not find the kernel. Now I am trying to fix it with chroot on a live boot. There, however I get the following error when trying to upgrade with pacman:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                               137.7 KiB   656 KiB/s 00:00 [##################################] 100%
 extra                             1917.2 KiB  3.39 MiB/s 00:01 [##################################] 100%
 community                            6.8 MiB  8.86 MiB/s 00:01 [##################################] 100%
 multilib                           176.5 KiB  6.38 MiB/s 00:00 [##################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: filesystem: local (2021.12.07-2) is newer than core (2021.12.07-1)
warning: gnome-wallpapers: local (20201023-1) is newer than community (20201020-1)
warning: linux-lts: local (1:5.4-4) is newer than core (5.10.87-1)
warning: linux-lts-headers: local (1:5.4-4) is newer than core (5.10.87-1)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing libcap (2.62-1) breaks dependency 'libcap=2.61' required by lib32-libcap

Tried to research some time on my own, but since I cannot wrap my head around it (no tesing enabled, …) I cannot find a solution for my problem.
Can someone help me out on this one?

Cheers,
Avo

linux-lts is not supported anymore. Remove it and install the actual version that you want. (linux54)

If your local packages are newer, you’re probably using an outdated mirror. You should update them first.

1 Like

Hi @Avocari, and welcome!

Just a thought, have you tried using pamac instead of pacman:

pamac update --enable-downgrade --force-refresh

I don’t know if it will, but I hope it helps!

Edit:

And what @mithrial said.

1 Like

hello @mithrial and @Mirdarthos!
Thanks for your fast replies!
Sadly pamac does not help I still land at the same error there and cannot prepare the transaction.

So removing linux-lts just with pacman -Rns linux-lts?
And then install linux54?

Sorry for the inconvenience!

No. I recommend removing it with mhwd-kernel:

mhwd-kernel --remove linux-lts

And then install the one you want. In your case 5.4 but 5.10 is also LTS;

mhwd-kernel --install linux54

or

mhwd-kernel --install linux510

Followed by updating as previously attempted:

pamac update --enable-downgrade --force-refresh

Then cross your fingers, take 3 shots of something and reboot

Does this also work inside chroot?

Cause I am on a live version trying to fix a bodged update within my normal installation.
When trying to install the kernel with mhwd, it tells me that onls linux510-rt and linux515-rt are available.

You must be inside the chroot-enviroment. And I recommend updating the mirrors first!

If you don’t need libpcap32 immediately, you could also remove it before the update. And install it later again.

It might be interesting what you did before and how you “botched” the previous update.

Yes, it does indeed work from a chroot environment, I’ve done it myself.

Try updating the databases first:

pamac checkupdate

About 20 other packages depend on lib32-libcap, so is it a good idea to uninstall every single one of them?

201 available updates, but then trying to update lands at the same error

I don’t know what libcap is or what it does. I do know, however, that you should theoretically be able to uninstall them and reinstall them without losing customizations, provided you didn’t edit anything in /etc or elsewhere directly.

But, if you decide to go that route, I suggest you make a list of things that’ll be uninstalled, so that you can reinstall them later.

As it is, it looks like you spent way to long between updates, I mean linux-lts has been unsupported for a long time already. So based on that, a clean install might be a good idea.

1 Like

Funny thing is, I don’t know how this is there, as it is my daily driver ^^
So no clue how that one was never dealt with.

I’m gonna make a list and install them back again afterwards, hope this fixes it!

Generally, the lib32 packages are not used by the system to be runnable/bootable.
Most likely they are dependencies from steam or another third-party package which you could always reinstall later if needed.

Pamac and pacman both list the packages they will remove, so look carefully through the list if among them are any that are needed for actual booting (e.g. the kernel, grub, systems, and so on).

1 Like

Ignore-the-update-till-I-have-more-time syndrome sound familiar?

1 Like

I know it, but using yay I did all package updates and also the manjaro-kernel updates via the GUI
So this must have slipped past me for some time now

Well, update using pamac instead then. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nothing wrong with the others. I’m not insulting them. There’s just a lot less chance of missing something with pamac than anything else.

1 Like

Updates ran through, yet still I am with the problem that /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64 is not found and I need to load the kernel first.

Thanks for your help on that one.

Think I will make a new post for the second issue

This is kernel 5.10, so you have to install it. (With the aforementioned mhwd-kernel)

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.