Error: Invalid sector size 65535 After Installation with Full Disk Encryption

What do I format it to?

in GPT , nothing else

Its been in GPT. I know you have to put it in GPT because MBR doesnt support over 2 TB.

If you prefer GUI install gsmartcontrol package and run SMART tests.

If you prefer CLI, install only smartmontools then head over there for instructions:
S.M.A.R.T. - ArchWiki.

I downloaded the GUI version and ran an extended test and it instantly completed with read failure. What does that mean?

In the Log it says:
LBA of the first error “17587000”

Is that the complete log?

To ensure your device supports smart (change sdb if needed):
$sudo smartctl --info /dev/sdb | grep 'SMART support is:'

Yeah I ran it twice and I just got one line both times.

I also copied and pasted your command it returned nothing.

sudo?..

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

Your drive cannot be read from. Loose/dirty/faulty SCSI connectors? faulty drive?

Well it runs just fine when I dont encrypt the drive. Ive also had this drive for over a year and have encrypted the drive a few times before.

Well it was running just fine, but now it doesn’t. That’s how harddrives fail, one day they work fine, the next they don’t.

You think there is a link between the error and encryption, I think they are not related. I would replace the drive. Maybe @stephane has a different opinion.

No it does work just fine. Ive had this error for half a week now, and I loaded up Manjaro just fine when I didnt encrypt the drive yesterday, but when I encrypt it I get that error for some reason.

Got it. So now your drive is not encrypted, you don’t get that error, but SMART test just failed indicating there is an issue with your drive’s health/connection.

Yes, but im not currently logged into my installation. Ive been sitting in the live USB Manjaro installer since yesterday night when Stephane told me to do so lol. Before that, yes I installed manjaro without encryption, which Ive done multiple times to check that I could replicate the error; which I could =p

Do you want me to restart and log into my account and then run SMART? Or would that not change anything?

Confused… Just do SMART test on the right drive, the one that’s throwing an “invalid sector size 65535” error, the 4TB WD Blue internal hard dive.

From GsmartControl main window, you can select which drive to run the test on. You can do that from a live session.

Yeah I tested the right drive lol. Was just making sure that it didnt matter if I did the test from a live session or not. Ive only been using linux a year and have never used SMART before =p

You’re right, better make sure we’re on the same page.

With GSmartControl, try a short self-test first.

Sorry to necro this thread, but I had the same issue, even with the exact same sector size, no issues booting whatsoever, so wanted to post for anyone that comes after me.

The error is resolved by unplugging USB-C hub with a SD card reader. There was no SD card in it, so I believe that’s the cause.

Found another thread with the same solution: