Error installing from USB on Windows 10 laptop

I created a usb boot drive for Manjaro Plasma. I was able to get it to boot on an old Windows Vista laptop and am using it now fully installed to write this question.

When I tried to boot the usb to a newer (but still older laptop) that is running Windows 10 I got an error saying it couldn’t locate a signature or something to that effect. Any suggestions as to why this may be happening and what I may be able to do to fix it. I am brand new to Linux OS of any kind but somewhat tech savvy to an extent.

Thanks

1 Like

that suggests that you need to disable “secure boot” in Firmware Settings/Bios

also make sure you disabled “fast boot” in Windows - if you want to set up a dual boot and not just replace Windows with Linux

As he said. It seems that you can’t boot from the USB drive is due to “secure boot” being enabled on your UEFI / BIOS settings. If you turn it off, you will be able to install it.

The “Secure Boot” was created by Microsoft (with 250+ companies) to allow only software trusted by the manufacturer of the computer to be run, keeping code from an unidentified party (possible malicious) from being executed by the machine. Thus, only Microsoft Windows and a few other operating systems (Ubuntu and Red Hat Linux among them) can be executed by the machine while the secure boot is turned on. This happens because those were the only corporations that sent cryptographic keys to allow their software to be authenticated by the UEFI, and confirm that they were indeed provided by the corporation.

When secure boot is turned off, the machine won’t check to see if its signature is within the database provided by the manufacturer. This also effects several other security features by Windows (I don’t know if Ubuntu and Red Hat have their own features, they likely do).

Ubuntu and several other Distributions DO support “secure boot”
they have bought the license and can support it
Manjaro (and Arch, and several others) doesn’t.
It can be made to work - but not for a novice.
Just turn it off in Firmware/Bios.

1 Like