Error in when updating packages (solved by updating binutils)

I’m trying to update packages on my computer but for some of them, I get the following error (this particular error is from updating perl-io-interface.:

Starting build()...
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/ unknown type [0x13] section `.relr.dyn'
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/ when looking for /usr/lib/
/usr/bin/ld: not found /usr/lib/
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/ unknown type [0x13] section `.relr.dyn'
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/ when looking for /usr/lib/
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/ unknown type [0x13] section `.relr.dyn'
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/ when looking for /usr/lib/
/usr/bin/ld: not found /usr/lib/
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/ unknown type [0x13] section `.relr.dyn'
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/ when looking for /usr/lib/
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Warning: ExtUtils::CBuilder not installed or no compiler detected
Proceeding with configuration, but compilation may fail during Build

Created MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
Creating new 'Build' script for 'IO-Interface' version '1.09'
Building IO-Interface
Error: no compiler detected to compile 'lib/IO/Interface.c'. Aborting
==> ERROR: Failed in build().

I have no idea what caused it, as my system as my kernel and everything is from Sunday and this is my first system update since then. In one of the cases, when compiling something I got “checking for working gcc … no”. I reinstalled gcc, but nothing changed. I’m not sure if the gcc problem and the problems are related.

P.S. Question edited, hopefully to make the problem cleared.

Your issue(s) are unsupported.

Foreign kernels like xanmod are unsupported on Manjaro.


Ok, but right now I’m with Manjaro stock and it doesn’t update stuff. The problem is system-wide, not related to xanmod in any way. Again

uname -a
5.19.1-3-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sat Aug 13 06:34:52 UTC 2022 x86_64 GNU/Linux

First of all, your topic title does not match the actual issue you’re having, only a problem with your attempted solution. Classic XY Problem

Perhaps your mirrors are not up to date: Pacman-mirrors - Manjaro

You’re using an unsupported kernel that’s designed for Arch as already mentioned.

What’s not working? Why would xanmod patches effect kernel drivers?

This is stock kernel. If the word “xanmod” is offending anyone, I’ll delete it. I’m not asking for help with wifi driver, but with the If you need additional information, ask me and I’ll provide it. I don’t know how to reproduce it, because it appeared first when installing the kernel and then when I tried to update packages. The error is always the same - the one I mentioned.

Just did. Ignoring the advice of those who would help you is highly inadvisable.

Please see:

I edited the question to better reflect the problem I have.

In case you really want to know what my wifi problem is - it’s is that the wifi works for some time (seeming to depend on the tabs opened but not always), then the adapter disappears from everywhere and nothing I’ve done so far has managed to restart it without rebooting the system. And rebooting the system while I’m working is a very bad option for me (seriously, I do long calculation and rebooting ruins them) . My wifi adapter is this:

 lspci -nn -s 03:00.0
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX200 [8086:2723] (rev 1a)

I’m sorry if I was rude, but I wouldn’t bother with non-supported kernels if I didn’t really need them. For some reasons, under xanmod, the wifi is more stable. I don’t know why.

Some of the things I’ve tried to solve the problem are described in the link below and include changing the firmware, turning off and on the suggested in the replies options, power settings, setting regulatory domains etc.

It’s trying update/rebuild an AUR package.

So first update without the AUR: sudo pacman -Syu

Then you can try updated the AUR packages after that.
Manjaro does not give support for AUR packages. Maybe the package AUR page have comments on what’s going on.

Another thing that seems to has happened to my system is that Unity games stopped running on the amdgpu. But they run on the Nvidia. I have no idea how this thing happened, the error from the steam debugging is

steam error File "/usr/lib/python3.10/", line 679, in __getitem__     raise KeyError(key) from None

I don’t know if it’s related or no, it seems something messed up when switching from the old kernel to the new one, but I have no idea what. /and please, don’t attack me for unprofessional asking for help, if I could be more coherent I would be/

Ok, the solution to the problem was updating binutil. I was keeping it fixed because it was messing up with gfortran but apparently the version I was keeping was no longer producing functional /usr/bin/ld. Now I can update packages.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.