Error: GPGME error: No data followed by error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.etc.de : The requested URL returned error: 404

Dear all,

after a longer time i tried to update and install new stuff. There is no chance to access a running pacman. Other posts containing the error: GPGME error: No data did not work for me. The connection usually works for me at home, at girl friend, in train via WLAN, in train stations via LAN, and via iphone Tethering. I did tons of pacman -Syyu from all locations all the time, this time it does not work either way. Please help, thanks in advance!

Details:

After sudo bash in a terminal, the following dialog occurs:

[k7 gnupg]# pacman -Syyu
error: GPGME error: No data
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.ragenetwork.de : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from babyname.tips : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjaro-mirror-a.alpix.eu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.alpix.eu : The requested URL returned error: 404

This continues, and repeats itself for extra.db and community.db. Finally:

error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from ftp.lysator.liu.se : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed to update community (unexpected error)
error: failed to synchronize any databases
error: failed to init transaction (unexpected error)
[k7 gnupg]# 

The mirrorlist was refreshed interactively, then manually edited, so that is / should be not the problem.

The problem may be related to signature issues in November 2017, as i did…

# pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring
# pacman-key --populate archlinux manjaro
# pacman-key --refresh-keys

but after these operations there was no problem to -Syy at least a month.

My pacman.conf contains among many other lines:

[core]
SigLevel = PackageRequired
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[extra]

[community]

Some blog / info pages on the world wise web net want me do Never check the signatures, is this ok?! Which operations should i perform to get back the package manager?

Help is highly appreciated!

Have you checked the full thread that’s pinned to the top of the forum?

(moved from #general-discussion to #technical-issues-and-assistance:updating as this is an issue with updating, not a discussion item)

As written in the initial post, in November 2017 i had to deal with the signature problems from the pinned header. (Personal comment: It was not simple to find this page and the pinned header, then to realize that this is a solution to a problem concerning all manjaro users. While “applying this solution” i had a hard two days time to save my data and search for the error. I tried to understand what i am doing, but i could not, there is no official documentation to be found regarding these keys, there signatures, and the signing process, but it is easy to find posts on the www addressing the issue without a clear framework, without a beginning and an end. I really want to learn.)

The present situation is as follows.

• The contents of the directory where core.db was located is empty now.

• The mirrorlist was refreshed. Still there are problems, but at least there is no GPGME error. (I still cannot understand which is the meaning of GPGME.)

• I tried to download manually the core.db. This shows the following problem:

[k7 temp]# wget http://babyname.tips/mirrors/manjaro/stable/core/i686/core.db
    --2017-12-21 01:43:00--  http://babyname.tips/mirrors/manjaro/stable/core/i686/core.db
    Resolving babyname.tips... 178.63.87.144
    Connecting to babyname.tips|178.63.87.144|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
    2017-12-21 01:43:00 ERROR 404: Not Found.

• also:

[k7 pacman.d]# wget https://mirror.netzspielplatz.de/manjaro/packages/stable/core/i686/core.db
    --2017-12-21 02:00:32--  https://mirror.netzspielplatz.de/manjaro/packages/stable/core/i686/core.db
    Loaded CA certificate '/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt'
    Resolving mirror.netzspielplatz.de... 176.9.92.49
    Connecting to mirror.netzspielplatz.de|176.9.92.49|:443... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
    2017-12-21 02:00:33 ERROR 404: Not Found.

What is wrong so far?
Which is that one mirror that works?

You use 32 repo, see [Manjaro32] Getting rid of 32bit Manjaro based on Archlinux and Introducing: manjaro32.org if you still use 32 arch.

If you open https://mirror.netzspielplatz.de/manjaro/packages/stable/core/ directly from browser, you’ll see there is no “i686” folder, that’s why you got "ERROR 404: Not Found."
For compare here result for x64 repo based your mirror:

$ wget https://mirror.netzspielplatz.de/manjaro/packages/stable/core/x86_64/core.db
--2017-12-21 09:54:21--  https://mirror.netzspielplatz.de/manjaro/packages/stable/core/x86_64/core.db
Loaded CA certificate '/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt'
Resolving mirror.netzspielplatz.de... 176.9.92.49
Connecting to mirror.netzspielplatz.de|176.9.92.49|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/plain]
Saving to: ‘core.db’

core.db                                      [    <=>                                                                                ] 140.57K   143KB/s    in 1.0s    

2017-12-21 09:54:24 (143 KB/s) - ‘core.db’ saved [143566]

@yerri, thanks for the information! Now there is a working manjaro KDE 64bit on the same machine. I just wanted to know the reason for the pacman problem. So the reason is the “end of life” of the used distribution.

A posteriori, there are some feed-back comments that may possibly improve the situation, at the very few point where it was hard to proceed:

• A big branch is getting its end of life, and there is no simple way to know about it. There was a reason for using the 32bit version, chess programs and dictionaries bought some time ago. Now i have to get an other machine to run them.
  • The error message “GPGME…” is misleading. I still do not know from which direction it comes. Searching the net for it was more misleading. Most people solved the problem by having next day the net connection, or the mirrors available again. But there is no hint for the reason, so that i can think and act in my own situation.
  • Instead of getting a bag “Read the community guidelines” one could next time please tell me where i did something wrong or did not make my homework. Community implicitly implies communication.
  • The pdf document for the new install does not really reflect the new version. Gparted was not on the install USB, had to install it first. (Not an issue for me, but…) One still has to search for the names of the mounting points, if the /home should be kept. Parallely, for instance /root is no longer available in the installer, when one needs to “do something else”.
  • When mentioning the “rolling” character of manjaro (as an advantage), one should maybe be fair and also add the statistics of the energy invested to steeply learn the “new world” (when moving from Windows, or from linux with and other package manager), and to solve the problems related to the keys, the signatures, and possible conflicts during the years.
  • sagemath comes with all related packages in the official repository. (No longer only in AUR.) This is great! A wonderful decision!
  • Installing Linux k7 4.9.68-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Dec 10 20:17:45 UTC 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux was a delight! A big compliment to the manjaro team!

Note: I consider this related to the post, since the solution was (save data, config files, names of the installed programs, and) a new install.

Who said that?

It was posted on the Manjaro blog as well as in announcement update threads.

It should be on all official edition installer images. Which installer version was missing it?

I can’t really answer this - GNU/Linux isn’t Windows. If you learned the UNIX way first, then switched to Windows, you’d face exactly the same issues but in reverse.

For example, whenever I have to use Windows I can’t find a functional terminal, and updating installed software requires me to visit the web pages of each to check for updates, then download and install each one in turn. What a faff.

However - I’m glad you’re sorted now. :slight_smile: