Error: file '/boot/vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64' not found

Hi,

This error has been coming up when I try to go into my Manjaro Linux on my dual boot. I’m very new to this stuff and don’t know what to do.

The error is:
Error: file ‘/boot/vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64’ not found.
Error: you need to load the kernel first

When I go to the “advanced options for Manjaro Linux”, it displays these options:

Manjaro Linux (Kernel: 5.4.28-1-MANJARO x64)
Manjaro Linux (Kernel: 5.4.24-1-MANJARO x64 - fallback initramfs)
Manjaro Linux (Kernel: 3.16.82-3-MANJARO x64)
Manjaro Linux (Kernel: 3.16.82-3-MANJARO x64 - fallback initramfs)

When I select the first or second option, it gives me the same error (Error: file ‘/boot/vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64’ not found. Error: you need to load the kernel first).

When I select the third or fourth option, then screen goes black but my laptop remains on, but it stay black and doesn’t do anything and I can’t exit this.

Can someone please help me?

When I press ‘C’ to enter the GRUB Commandline and type in “sudo manjaro-chroot -a” and press enter, it says “error: can’t find command ‘sudo’”

Seems some went wrong when updating the kernel. Normally you should have same values. Seems it would be good if we come up with a graphical tool to fix those issues. For now you might need to chroot into your system and try to complete your system update and kernel installation.

How would I do that?

@Larajuneb

1. Boot with a manjaro install disk
  2. Open a terminal and type: manjaro-chroot -a
  3. Choose a number. (if 0 does not work type 1)
  4. Then you should be on your local disk and can continue the upgrade:
  5. Type sudo pacman -Syyuu (system-upgrade / download new database and downgrade if needed)
  6. Then to be sure: sudo mkinitcpio -P (update kernel stuff)
  7. and then sudo update-grub (update bootloader config)
2 Likes

can you report ( from USB iso manjaro )

inxi -Fza
sudo mhwd-kernel -li

Hi @Larajuneb,

It looks like somehow our Linux kernel went MIA. I recommend reinstalling it from chroot using a live ISO.

To do so:

• Boot from a Live ISO, into the working Live ISO environment.
  • When successfully booted, open a terminal.
  • When the terminal has opened enter the chroot evironment by running:
manjaro-chroot -a

Be careful from here on, you are now working as the root user on your installation.

• Once you’ve successfully entered the chroot environment, you’ve got to find out which kernels Manjaro think is installed and remove them. To find out which kernels are installed, open a terminal and run:
mhwd-kernel -li

For example, mine returns the following:

$ mhwd-kernel -li
Currently running: 5.10.23-1-MANJARO (linux510)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
* linux510
* linux54
  • Go ahead and remove all the kernels listed as installed there. This is done by running mhwd-kernel -r for every installed kernel. For example, minee would be:
mhwd-kenel -r linux54

Followed by:

mhwd-kernel -r lnux510

DO NOT REBOOT as there is now no kernel for it to use.

• Now install a new kernel. I recommend version 5.10 as it’s the latest LTS version.
mhwd-kernel -i linux510
  • It is also recommended to install another one to use in case there is a problem with your default one, as just happened. I recommend 5.4 as this is the previous LTS version. Install it the same way you did above. In the terminal, run:
mhwd-kernel -i linux54
  • If done successfully, hold your thumbs, cross you heart, and reboot.

Theoretically, it should be working again.

(And if not, well, then it’s not my fault. :grin: )

2 Likes