[error] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules

Hi all,
I too get the Failed to start Load Kernel Modules error message about 4 times during the boot process. The system seems to run fine though but I still want to fix this issue.

When I use systemctl I get this output:

$ systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service

$ systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service
● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2019-05-30 10:58:58 CEST; 4h 12min ago
     Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
           man:modules-load.d(5)
  Process: 504 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 504 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started. Log output is incomplete or unavailable.

I i the use the command sudo /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load I get the output

Failed to find module 'vfs_monitor'

Any help is appreciated!
thx

Type this command in terminal and share the output
uname -r

$ uname -r
5.1.4-1-MANJARO

According to you profile you use KDE.This problem is common on Deepin using newest kernels.Are you using deepin right now?

Hey masterfix,
right now I use KDE (actually almost always) but I have Deepin installed as well.
thx
swayze

Using 2 desktop environments on 1 system is not a good idea( this can cause package conflicts) Regarding the issue itself -deepin dev team will soon make deepin-anything package compatible with 5.1 kernel.(In fact it may be already fixed in version 0.1.0- currently available in testing branch )

1 Like

Looking on upstream i don't think it's ready yet :disappointed:

Thanks for the info! So there is nothing I can do to fix it?

Actually installing:

1. Kernel 5.1.4-1
  2. Reboot
  3. Installing those packages from unstable branch:
    deepin-anything 0.1.0-2
    deepin-anything-dkms 0.1.0-2

Works...

But you might want to check this first:

2 Likes

I am also on KDE and everytime I try to update to Kernel 5.1 I get the same Failed to start Load Kernel Modules

On any other kernels things run without problems and I don't have any other DE's installed besides KDE Plasma.

uname -r output:
5.1.8-1-MANJARO

systemctl output:

● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2019-06-12 11:17:51 EEST; 35min ago
     Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
           man:modules-load.d(5)
  Process: 679 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 679 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

iun 12 11:17:48 soptereanc-pc systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
iun 12 11:17:48 soptereanc-pc systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
iun 12 11:17:49 soptereanc-pc systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...
iun 12 11:17:49 soptereanc-pc systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
iun 12 11:17:49 soptereanc-pc systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
iun 12 11:17:49 soptereanc-pc systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
iun 12 11:17:51 soptereanc-pc systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...
iun 12 11:17:51 soptereanc-pc systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
iun 12 11:17:51 soptereanc-pc systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
iun 12 11:17:51 soptereanc-pc systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

If you had searched the forum https://forum.manjaro.org/search?q=Failed%20to%20Start%20Load%20Kernel%20Modules you would have found a wealth of discussion.

But to shortcut it for you

sudo journalctl -eu systemd-modules-load

to find out which modules are giving problems. Most likely one or more are are missing and they need to be installed.

(Btw I do hope your profile is outdated since the 4.17 kernel has not been supported for quite some time... :wink:)

2 Likes

I uninstalled all deepin packages and the error message is gone.
So deepin really was the problem :wink: