Enlightenment WM is great!?!?

Link - https://www.enlightenment.org/

I was just catching up on the forum after a break and I noticed a lot of desktop environment (DE) related threads here! I know all the major DE’s are discussed and even a lot of the popular window managers (WM’s) comes into the conversations regularly. But one WM or DE if you want to call it that rarely comes into the conversation is Enlightenment! I never hear or have never noticed anyone talk much about Elightenment(maybe I missed somehow?!), but the conversations are sooo rare atleast according to me!).

I’ve come across it on rare occasions in my life and have been wanting to try it to be frank, but never did. I used to use Terminology which is super cool terminal application for a long time until I eventually replaced it with Tilix for which I can’t remember the reason now (maybe I should go back to Terminology :thinking:) ! That is the extend of my experience with Enlightenment.

Why is it that though?

Enlightenment is a window manager:

• Which has been in development for 22 years which should make it stable (at least really usable).
  • Is told to have good set of basic apps! (Terminology is something that I can definitely recommend!)
  • Is told to be very lightweight!
  • Told to be really customizable as per their website!

I mean, if you ask me, for a project that is this old (Seriously, 22 years!!) with the above qualities should be more popular and should be better right? Or is it so bad? Or are they doing something very wrong? Even for the likes of window managers, I don’t hear Enlightenment in the conversations enough! Maybe I am wrong about all this! I might be the one who is living under a rock! Would love to be corrected and directed accordingly if you think I am! :slight_smile:

The reasons for this thread is to answer the question, Is Enlightentment WM great?,
Introducing Enlightenment WM to people who haven’t heard about it (probably like how I didn’t for a long time!) and to really discuss about this project and share opinions (as always! duh! :roll_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:) . I am sure there are a lot of Manjaro users who use Enlightenment. Please share your experience! I will be testing Enlightenment out the coming week and in the meantime would really love to learn more about this project and have interesting conversations about this with you all! :slight_smile:

Screenshots!

1 Like

Enlightenment is nice.
I used it on a few distros including Bodhi and Puppy [macpup].
It was always surprisingly fast for how shiny it is. Snappy and sleek.

I think the reason it isnt discussed as much as the others is because its sort of its own thing. KDE/Gnome and more generally Qt/GTK are just the standards of DE that years ago gained their position, so everything else is rather ‘othered’. Doesnt make it bad … just more ‘rare’.

We once had an Manjaro Enlightenment… but there hasnt been an .iso in some time.
Apparently you can have it pretty easy through architect though:

2 Likes

Hey! Thanks for replying @cscs!

It was always surprisingly fast for how shiny it is. Snappy and sleek.

OK! So this verifies the lightweight and snappy part which I have heard about this I guess!

I think the reason it isnt discussed as much as the others is because its sort of its own thing. KDE/Gnome and more generally Qt/GTK are just the standards of DE that years ago gained their position, so everything else is rather ‘othered’. Doesnt make it bad … just more ‘rare’.

True! But I hear people talking about i3 WM and AwesomeWM but never about Enlightenment! For a project that has been active for this long time period, that baffles me!

We once had an Manjaro Enlightenment… but there hasnt been an .iso in some time.
Apparently you can have it pretty easy through architect though:

Thanks! This is really good info. Will check it out. :slight_smile:

In addition to what @cscs points out, because it is different it has a decently steep learning curve. E is customizable, but again, the ability to customize it comes with it’s own learning curve.

In a world where people think something like plasma is “too complicated”, the road to Enlightenment is not an easy one.

3 Likes

I mean I’m talking having it on a tiny 1gb USB when I was traveling around patagonia. Sometimes when I was somewhere with a computer I’d pop it in… this isnt ‘USB3’ or anything. The computers are probably pentium 3/4. With animations and a dock and multiple windows etc Enlightenment still flew.

If not for that, but rather since it is so special and different, you should definitely give it a try :slight_smile:

[Oh and on top of what @dalto rightly said … there arent a TON of premade themes out there … not nice ones anyways. So the ‘do it yourself’ thing can become necessary … then become overwhelming.]

1 Like

@dalto / @cscs - Interesting point! I did hear that the documentation for customization is really bad in the Lifewire article!

But if it’s not buggy and if it’s lightweight and snappy, then it should be amazing at performance I am guessing! Right?

Also, it is supposed to work flawlessly with the GTK/QT apps. That should be a plus for sure!

I used it back when I was using Bodhi Linux and that was E17. Bodhi since then forked E17 into their own WM/DE.

1 Like

Why not try it and see for yourself what it is all about?

Oh I intend to!. in fact, I’ve already downloaded Void linux enlightenment live usb to check it out! WIll try it out tomorrow morning! Still interested in how and what Enlightenment is in the Manjaro. :slight_smile: community!

Yes! I can see that they forked Enlightenment and made it Moksha Desktop, which in Sanskrit means enlightenment! :stuck_out_tongue:

You can install it in Manjaro, the instructions are on the wiki.

You can also do an Architect install in a VM to try it out.

Yes! I was reading up on it as we were speaking! Will have to do it once more in the morning!
@cscs also shared an interesting thread!

Still interested in how and what Enlightenment is in the Manjaro.

Sorry for being more clear though, what I meant by this is that I was interested in knowing what Enlightenment is to Manjaro community. This feels like a good place to open this topic for discussion!

I will definitely test it in two days if not tomorrow and share my experience in the thread! :slight_smile:

PS: Essentially I am in search of enlightenment from Enlightenment! Haha!

1 Like

Manjaro Enlightenment remains alive & kicking on two of my VMs as per the link provided up above. I still like it. It is quirky & idiosyncratic… qualities that in general i admire. Afaik to install it you’d still need to go the MA route, using the option path per my linked post.

I even installed it, several months ago, as a 2nd DE [yes, i know, actually WM] on my Lappy. My biggest “problem” with E is not its own fault at all; tis simply that i don’t “need” it. Both my machines have good processors, ample memory yada yada, & do very very nicely with Plasma [which i love]. If i was back in time to when pc resources were still highly restrictive, i’d have a compelling use-case for E… but i’m not… so i don’t… hence for me E is destined to remain a merely fun quirky admirable system that i’ll fire up occasionally when i feel like some smiles & giggles. It’s not E’s fault or problem, just my reality [mind you, any hard-core E’ers out there might want to hate on KDE a bit for creating the fabulous Plasma5, without which maybe i’d look at E thru different eyes].

1 Like

From what I’ve tried it, enlightenment was pretty impressive. But somehow I didn’t stick with it. Once it felt too cumbersome to configure, and another time it felt too unstable (maybe because I was testing it on Wayland with tiling enabled? Go figure). And later on I was already accustomed to tiling window managers, and one does not simply climb out of that rabbit hole…

I think enlightenment has tremendous potential, but it takes some digging to really get into it .I’ve never really gotten that far.

1 Like

Hey, don’t put words in our hard-core Enlightenment users mouths, that’s just not nice.
Especially since some of us E users actually work on KDE and/or KDE related projects.
I just wish kwin’s compositor was much lighter than it is, but that’s not my department.
Enlightenment still has them beat there… :wink:

4 Likes

Well the last time I used Bodhi (Ver. 3?) they setup e17 as a proper Desktop Environment and I was able to use E17 straight out of the box.

1 Like

OK! Now I know who to tag when I start experimenting it on Manjaro!! :smile:

From what I’ve tried it, enlightenment was pretty impressive. But somehow I didn’t stick with it. Once it felt too cumbersome to configure, and another time it felt too unstable (maybe because I was testing it on Wayland with tiling enabled? Go figure). And later on I was already accustomed to tiling window managers, and one does not simply climb out of that rabbit hole…

@Chrysostomus - This is definitely something that is coming up again and again while I am digging deep on Enlightenment! Customization! Looks like there is a deeper problem here! :slight_smile:

Hey, don’t put words in our hard-core Enlightenment users mouths, that’s just not nice.
Especially since some of us E users actually work on KDE and/or KDE related projects.
I just wish kwin’s compositor was much lighter than it is, but that’s not my department.
Enlightenment still has them beat there… :wink:

@AJSlye - I mean, the current trend is moving C/C++ projects to Rust! Told to be better good for performance as well! Maybe things can be improved further if Enlightenment eventually moves to adopting Rust, if not they are already doing it right now! :smiley:

Don’t forget, Enlightenment seems to be having the backup of Samsung and looks to be used in their Tizen applications!

This is really interesting. I am going to try Void linux which seems to have a Enlightenment live image. Will share the screenshots and how my experience is soon since Bodhi has forked Enlightenment and is not pure Enlightenment at the moment!

@kdemeoz - Also, I feel Enlightenment will be amazing to use w/ Raspberry Pi 2/3 or ARM/SCC! Void linux seems to have a fully functional live image .iso for it!

Would be really interesting to see how ManjaroARM sees enlightenment! Definitely a proper use case for Enlightenment from the aspect of highly resource restrictive angle @kdemeoz was mentioning!.

cc’ing @Strit if he has time and if he is interested about the above point! :point_up: :slight_smile:

i don’t really have time. And I don’t know the DE/WM much, so I wouldn’t know what packages are needed for it to work. :slight_smile: But I am open to Merge Requests on gitlab.com/Strit/arm-profiles :slight_smile:

1 Like

I havn’t tried the Bodhi fork of e17, but the last time I used Bodhi they setup e17 to be as functional as a Desktop Environment and I had no trouble using it as such. And it was very quick and used low amounts of resources.

I can imagine that their Moksha Desktop Environment is a major improvement over the current Enlightenment for that use.

1 Like