Endeavour OS won't have their web installer in order

No real surprise due to a very small team and a lot of work to do (the Antergos installer apparently need a full rewrite to work outside Antergos, and they have two developers) Endeavour will launch with the Offline Calamares Xfce installer only on the 15th.

I looked at the beta, it works great but the iso is too old already. 100 updates, at least 4 needs manual intervention. Hopefully the official release will be fresher.

Why? Since it is a netinstaller, I would have imagined it would only need a little tweaking, maybe just 500 lines of code or so.

Just going by what their homepage says.
They are also cooperating with RebornOS to try to get the Phoenix installer up and running.

It seems to me both installers assumes the Antergos repos are always present or something.

But yeah it seems a bit weird.

That said the phrase given to me when talking to them was "the web installer choose to cause havoc just before release". So something went extra wrong, it seems.

100mb update so Manjaro Gnome yesterday needed 446 updates just under 1gb what does that make manjaro then.

If user intervention is interpreted as click yes then they both had them
if its as per Arch wiki then their were non as the only 1 real intervention did not apply as it was not installed on my computor or 95% of other users.

Fixed installer on rolling release is a no its bad for everything including global warming to a small degree as is releasing monthly snapshots,
Talking of the installer Calarmaras can net install but is not stable and it comes down to any text based installer no matter how simple works flawless. Why can't they make GUI installer work the same beats me, even a bash script works fine.

1 Like

Just look at archived cnchi code... Not really a 500 LOC software!

I was talking about ~500 lines of code changes. Think about it: what really needs to change? It is a netinstaller, so what it does on the background is basically just

pacstrap /mnt $(cat package_list) 

And maybe a few

arch-chroot /mnt "systemctl enable service" 

Since you are using the same main repos, all you need to do is

• change the URL where cnchi downloads its updates
  • change the package list so that it doesn't include any extra packages from Antergos repos OR
  • change extra repo

This seems pretty feasible with 500 loc. Partitioning and gui parts can stay the same, as can post installation stuff like user account creation and language selection. The main part that needs changing is the installation source and recipe.

1 Like

My bad. And only 500 LOC?

What is needed? A complete rewrite, maybe?

Just kidding of course :slight_smile:

I think that RebornOS developer(s) will rewrite all the installer from scratch than trying to fix a 7 years codebase.

I would be more concerned with the number of failed Manjaro installs than trying to Air other distros dirty washing.
Its ok to critisise other and not look in your own back yard. most fails on what ever distro is down to duel graphics and non experienced users the rest is chrome book, macs, the rest just lost code.

You meant Calamares built against kpmcore4 I suppose :slight_smile:

Hybrid GPU cards are the worst thing ever created in computing with VIA mainboard components back in VIA4in1 time.

I remember Artoo working on a netinstaller for Calamares. So what happen to that?
@Chrysostomus @philm

1 Like

Manjaro avoids netinstalls. As we have to test everything. However we will automate ISO generation in near future so also daily builds might be possible.

Manjaro Architect is the closest thing we currently get to have a customer experience with self configuration by the user.

As we tried with cnchi, we failed. Therefore we forked it as thus without the netinstall functionality.

3 Likes

Netinstaller is nice in principle, but it is a lot more difficult to pull off than just unpacking the iso. For the installer, it is simple, but it takes a lot more maintenance in the installation sources. Fixed isos need to be perfect on the day of the release, but with netinstall, the sources need to be perfect and up to date all the time. Arch can do this because arch is super simple. Antergos struggled with it because it is more complex. Manjaro failed with it because it is even more complex than Antergos.

If we offered only netinstall, it would require some combination of following:

• radically cut down the number of editions and offered desktops
  • make isos simpler and offer less functionality
  • have one or more people working on maintenence full time
  • have some kind of continuous test automation to ensure it keeps working.
  • make installer step by step process instead of greatly automated like the current system, to make troubleshooting and workarounds easier

So, I think the current two pronged approach is optimal for Manjaro for the moment.

2 Likes