Enable Lid Down Sleep

PineBookPro - using Manjaro Arm with updates - Kernel 5.6.0-0.4-MANJARO-ARM18.2
Kde Plasma 5.18.2
Hi all. Does anyone have "sleep" working when closing the lid on PBPro? Any suggestions appreciated. It would make life a lot easier for me as battery usage is an ongoing concern. Sleep works mostly when using the power off button. When resuming - using this button - a window asking me to log out will appear briefly. I need to escape out of this in order to "resume" the laptop session.
I have looked at /etc/systemd/sleep.conf but lack information to edit this. Any ideas?

S2Idle should work out of the box on new installs.

Real suspend still only works if you use the BSP uboot.

Does uboot-pinebookpro-bsp replace uboot-pinebookpro or supplement it? I just ran:

sudo pacman -S uboot-pinebookpro-bsp

but pacman didn't list a conflict with with uboot-pinebookpro. I thought I'd check back here before installing.

It should replace it.

If it does not, then it's an error in the packaging. @spikerguy needs to fix that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

AFAIR, I have added conflict & provide. Maybe I missed uploading the updated package to server.

I will do that tonight.

Ok - In package manager I can see that uboot-pinebookpro is installed and uboot-pinebookpro-bsp is available as a package. I will wait a while for the update, then try to install.

Updated the git repo and pushed the updated uboot-pinebookpro-bsp pkg to unstable.

For those who wants to flash BSP uboot can do it by.
@Feakster
sudo pacman -U http://repo-arm.manjaro.org/repo/unstable/core/aarch64/uboot-pinebookpro-bsp-1.5-5-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz

Then follow the instruction of the dd command.
Try and let me know.
Thanks.

Many thanks.

What binaries are in the bsp package and what are they for?

Hi,

I ran the following:

sudo pacman -Rcns uboot-pinebookpro
# then ran the dd commands...

After reboot everything started up as normal. However, I noticed that sleeps still does not work. The laptop attempts to sleep, then instantly switches to the login screen.

I also noticed that when trying:

without initially removing uboot-pinebookpro no conflict was mentioned until installation was attempted, at which point the installation was aborted because a file already existed.

Did you dd the image on the correct mmc block ? Also @strit can help you with this as I am not sure why its not putting the laptop to suspend as it should.

If you're on Stable version then yes there is a conflict, I have already uploaded the corrected package on unstable once it is synced with stable then it will be available for all the users.

Only suspend I know works is the S2idle we have on the default image.

Please check your /etc/systemd/sleep.conf file and make sure the only uncommented line is:
SuspendState=freeze

If the line says something else, change it to this.

Just checked the config file, and it was as it should be. For some reason now, suspend appears to be working as expected. Will report back tomorrow after a bit more use.

Still getting this while trying to install uboot-pinebookpro-bsp 1.5.3
No progress here atm. Is there anything else I should be doing?

conflicting files:
uboot-pinebookpro-bsp: /boot/idbloader.img already exists in filesystem

Please run
sudo pacman -S uboot-pinebookpro-bsp --overwrite /boot/idbloader.img

I will update this package tomorrow so that should solve this problem in the future.

Not sure whether this was for me or not, but ran the command anyway, plus the relevant dd line. Everything still working as expected.

================

Please refer to log below. I ran the second option using my block device.
It completed ok. But now I am unbootable. It was bound to happen playing around with uboot.
Ah well.... I am philosophical.... I may need to do a rescue job.

dd if=/boot/uboot.img of=/dev/mmcblkX seek=16384 conv=notrunc

pacman -S uboot-pinebookpro-bsp --overwrite /boot/idbloader.img
warning: uboot-pinebookpro-bsp-1.5-3 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Package (1) Old Version New Version Net Change

core/uboot-pinebookpro-bsp 1.5-3 1.5-3 0.00 MiB

Total Installed Size: 8.16 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: 0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring [#############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity [#############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files [#############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts [#############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space [#############################################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling uboot-pinebookpro-bsp [#############################################################################] 100%
A new U-Boot version needs to be flashed our install drive. Please use lsblk to determine your drive, before proceeding.
You can do this by running:

dd if=/boot/idbloader.img of=/dev/mmcblkX seek=64 conv=notrunc

dd if=/boot/trust.img of=/dev/mmcblkX seek=24576 conv=notrunc

There must be more to the log.
This is incomplete log of installation.

I ran this command - substituting my partition (the root partition) for blkX. It completed ok.

I take it you are not impressed ; ) .......... anyway I would like to attempt a recovery or reinstall. Any ideas on how to proceed? My current install was very good except for the lid down sleep function. I found this important as battery usage became a problem.

If I reinstall, will I encounter the problem with PBPro lid down?

Hi.
I didn't reply thinking that its working fine now as you said "it completed ok."
Lid close should work just fine on mainline uboo which comes along the default image. But the suspend is not deep sleep which is not too bad.

Please try to stay fresh and just update the system without making any changes to the uboot, after this test the lid close before and after the update.

Report back your finding then we can try to trace the issue is it still persist.

Forum kindly sponsored by