Emulators for consoles before the 2000's

What emulators (For consoles like NES, SNES, SEGA Genesis, etc.) do you use? Please reply and tell what you liked about it.

Can you be a little more specific? Emulators for what?

I've updated the post but generally for consoles before the 2000's.

Retroarch. I used individual emulators in my windows days.

1 Like

mame is great for all the arcade things (old neogeo fighters, battle toads, metalslug, etc)
zsnes is of course good for snes.

Is Retroarch optimized and easy to use?

Yeah mame is really great. Have you tried mess? I think it's another mame emulator but has more compatibility.

Oh .. this is the first I've heard of it. I thought mame was pretty extensive to begin with .. so that sounds nice.
Oh wait. wikipedia sez:

Multi Emulator Super System ( MESS ) was an emulator for various consoles and computer systems, based on the MAME core and now a part of MAME.

Try it and see what you think.

NES = fceux
SNES = SNES9x or zSNES
Megadrive/Genesis = Gens or Gens-GS

Nothing but real hardware is good enough for NeoGeo :wink:

3 Likes

Oh, I thought that it was a separate emulator. Sorry :wink:.

Yeah I tried it and it was easy to use. Thanks for the suggestion!

How I wish I was born in the 90's (And live in America). I could've been collecting game cartridges and playing on the real consoles, not on emulators and roms.

Except if you were born in the 90s you would have been too young to do any of those tings :wink:

But seriously, many of those consoles were outrageously expensive at the time of their release. I remember drooling over the Neo-Geo in the store.

The most amusing one for me was the always the Atari Jaguar. It was quite expensive, had very few games and they weren't even that good.

I only got my NeoGeo and all my games etc for it as an adult. As a kid, a NeoGeo was nothing more than a dream, found only in the back page gaming magazine adverts.

I still have my original NES, SNES and Megadrive. Plus many other consoles and games I’ve acquired as an adult to feed my inner child’s needs :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah, It's hard to know if a console or a game sucks or not because there's no reviews, aside from the magazines. Imagine saving up money and buying a console, only to find out that it sucks.

What makes us go back and play these old games while there's a ton of great games now? Is it because of their simplicity, or just nostalgia? Either way, it feels nice to play games that were just a dream back then.

I'll just say it ..
consoles are inherently proprietary garbage.
smash that dislike button :wink:

3 Likes

mGBA is a good one. It has gyro support for the few games that want it.

How does the gyro support work on computers? And can you give some examples of games requiring one? Thanks for the reply!

Forum kindly sponsored by