Elantech fingerprint reader listed as supported by libfprint but doesn't actually work

My Acer aspire 5 A515-44 has an Elantech fingerprint reader (04f3:0c4f), it’s picked up by lsusb and is listed as supported by libfprint, but will not get picked up by fingerprint-gui nor fprintd. Here are the only outputs I can provide so far;

fprintd-enroll; GDBus.Error:net.reactivated.Fprint.Error.NoSuchDevice: No devices available
lsusb; Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f3:0c4f Elan Microelectronics Corp. ELAN:Fingerprint (I’m showing only the important part here)

Note; The fingerprint reader sits on top of the touchpad, which is also an Elantech device.

an online Linux probing website shows that both a mouse and a touchpad are detected, somehow, and it shows that the fingerprint reader failed to work with Linux. I’m wondering if it needs to communicate with the touchpad driver in some way (and why does it show both a mouse and touchpad are beign detected?). I know those readers that sit on top of the touchpad are a miss with Linux but since support is listed for mine I would guess there is a work-around? I don’t expect to find a solution as there isn’t a lot of info out there on how to get them working, but why not try.

Maybe this is just an issue with libfprint, but idk.
Sorry if this post is done weirdly, it’s my first time

Edit; listed mouse/touchpad are both named 04f3-3142 (the mouse one is formulated differently but it seems like it’s the same thing)

Have a nice day!

I think libfprint should be a little more detailed with regard to “supported” devices. What they mean by supported can range from just “recognized” to “fully working”, but there’s no such indication in their own list. Elantech fingerprint readers, from my own observation, tend to be in the “recognized” group at best. Feel free to report to libfprint, but I suggest not to get your hopes too high.