Black screen with cursor when switching between users

Since update [Stable Update] 2023-12-01 I have been experiencing a problem when switching between users.

To reproduce:

• auto-login to user A
  • switch user to user B
  • wait for < 30s…
  • switch back to user A
  • a black screen is shown with the mouse cursor (it seems that the cursor sees the window borders since moving it changes the cursor shape)

If I wait long enough the same happens to user B.
Switching consoles work. No combination helps on the black screen (alt-tab, ctrl-tab, super-tab, ctrl-esc). The only medicine is ctrl-alt-backspace.

What I tried:

• I checked the logs, journal - nothing.
  • Tried to switch to kernel from 6.1 LTS to 6.6 LTS - same problem.
  • Removed all screensavers (light-lock, xfce4-screensave, xscreensaver).
  • Renamed xflock.
  • Set xfce4-session LockCommand to /bin/true.
  • Tried to use xkill - nothing is killed.
  • xwininfo shows the window is β€˜Desktop’

Any help/hint on what to try, look at would be greatly appreciated.

CPU: 12-core AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (-MT MCP-) speed/min/max: 2383/2200/4950 MHz
Kernel: 6.1.64-1-MANJARO x86_64 Up: 11h 16m Mem: 4.25/62.72 GiB (6.8%)
Storage: 51.71 TiB (21.2% used) Procs: 619 Shell: Zsh inxi: 3.3.31
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   a@c
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   ------------ 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   OS: Manjaro Linux x86_64 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Host: MS-7D52 1.0 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ            β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Kernel: 6.1.64-1-MANJARO 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Uptime: 11 hours, 18 mins 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Packages: 2075 (pacman) 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Shell: zsh 5.9 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Resolution: 1920x1200 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   DE: Xfce 4.18 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   WM: Xfwm4 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   WM Theme: Matcha-sea 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Theme: Matcha-sea [GTK2/3] 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Icons: Papirus-Maia [GTK2/3] 
                               Terminal: kitty 
                               CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (24) @ 3.700GHz 
                               GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 
                               Memory: 4128MiB / 64226MiB 

I tried to create a fresh account to see if it’s also affected. Same problem - screen goes black with cursor with the fresh account, too.

I also disabled xfce power manager and disabled dpms and blanking with xset. Problem persists.

Note that the black screen I mention is a graphics mode black screen and the cursor is the mouse cursor (as opposed to tty/framebuffer screen and terminal cursor).

On a different computer there’s a similar problem. There’s only one user on it.
When the computer wakes up from sleep the same happens - (graphics) black screen with mouse cursor.

Noticed however that the problem does not happen if gnome is used instead of Xfce4.

I have only one user and have also the same problem.
For me it was an update, I think it was 2023-12-01, and when I noticed the poblem I used timeshift to revert the update, now 2023-12-10 a new update was released and I tried to update and also update the kernel to 6.6.5-1-Manjaro. The same bug presists.
I’m on an Intel 6600K, Nvidia geforce gtx 960, ManjaroLinux 23.1.0 Vulcan, xfce 4.18.

After the last update (2023.12.10) I noticed that’s enough to switch to the console (ctrl-alt-f1) and back to reproduce the problem. No need to have two users. There was also an update to xfce4-power-manager…

After the update I also noticed (don’t know if it is related) that something blanks the screen after a few minutes (1-2?) even though Xfce Power Manager is not started and there is no screensaver.

Can someone please try this?
Prerequisite:

• Xfce4 desktop, nvidia propietary drivers

Repro case:

• Ctrl-alt-F1 (switches to console)
  • Wait 1 minute
  • Ctrl-alt-F8 (switch back to Xfce4 desktop)

Just when I thought I got a perfect reproducer… Please try switching back and forth a few times.

Switching to a different user works for me almost every time :wink:

Tried it,
It happens if a user is logged in the virtual console,
I have also done some tests, here:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/after-2023-12-01-i-can-not-get-in-to-a-timed-out-session/153101/4

1 Like

Also experiencing this issue, intermittently when waking from suspend.

Tried your instructions and it reproduced the issue.

1 Like

any updates on that? We are sharing the pc with my wife and it is super annoying when I try to switch to my desktop and getting a black screen with cursor

Still happening as of today. All updates applied.

I can’t even switch to console and back without the pesky black screen. I guess this is going to drag on for a very long time.

I can reproduce it with 2 users, but no solution for it.
Maybe reinstall parallel an other Desktop like Gnome or Mate parallel, until its fixed, because i assume its pretty sure a XFCE thing.

Installed update [Stable Update] 2024-01-13 - problem still present.

@Joe_Ge With gnome it does not happen… probably something with XFCE…

1 Like

Same for me. The update, even it looks like it has a lot of new pretty things, did not fix it.
Even nvidia stated that they found a bug about the black screen problem at Gnome in nvidia 545.29.06-01 and fix it at xxx-02.
At least, it doesnt happen every time for me, since i switched at powermanagent under system to suspend instead of sleep or hibernate.

Medicine is supposed to heal, not kill :skull_and_crossbones: :wink:

Your journal contains nothing? Right…

If you share nothing for us to help you, then you will receive nothing from anyone that may be willing to help.

Please see:

Oh, did they now? :thinking: Where did they find that information?

:warning: If I see one more β€œMe too” reply with no useful information for others to help, this thread will be closed.

??
I did put a hint in it, that i changed at power management /system to suspend, and it made a difference.

For this nvidia-thread, i was not sure, if its really important, since you cant do nothing else as to wait, until we get the updates, when you have a broken suspend mode.
The last comment before 1 week there is, that nvidia fixed it in a patch, therefor it should come with a nearby update, i would conclude.

…and I applied it with 545.29.06-2 last week.

@Yochanan I’m sorry if I offended you somehow.

The β€˜journal contains nothing’ means: there is nothing related to the black screen - no log lines are add when it happens.

Can you explain how to switch to 545.29.06-2?

On my system I have installed the following:

# pacman -Q | grep -i nvidia                                                                                              
lib32-nvidia-utils 545.29.06-1
linux61-nvidia 545.29.06-11
mhwd-nvidia 545.29.06-2
mhwd-nvidia-390xx 390.157-9
mhwd-nvidia-470xx 470.223.02-1
nvidia-utils 545.29.06-2
opencl-nvidia 545.29.06-2

… the black screen is still reproducible, though.

Still reproducible (from XFCE4: just switch to first console and back) after installing:

[Stable Update] 2024-02-21 - Kernels, KDE, VirtualBox, Calamares, ROCm, Firefox, Thunderbird

Any hints how to troubleshoot this?

1 Like