Edit manjaro-plymouth file

Hello, I tried editing the manjaro-plymouth file to try to delete the text that appears on the startup screen when the password is requested for LUKS (Please enter passphrase for disk luks…). I don’t know if I did well, but I changed the row 25 changing the parameter from “true” to “false”. I didn’t get any results. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi @MG_Linux,

Fair warning: I don’t use plymouth, nor do I really know what it is, except that it has something to do with the boot process.

That said, the first thing I thought when reading this was: he didn’t rebuild his initrd. And, indeed, from what I gathered on the ArchWiki it would seem this is necessary aft5er a change to the configuration. So try it, and see if it helps:

sudo mkinitcpio --allpresets

Hope it helps!

Thank you for your answer!
However, I want to specify that I have not modified the mkinitcpio.conf file, so I don’t know if it is necessary to run the command you say. I have thought about updating initframs instead, but before running any sudo commands I would prefer to get a confirmation.

Well, as I said, I don’t use it or anything like that. My answer is purely based on the Archwiki entry about plymouth:

Hidpi

Edit plymouthd.conf as

/etc/plymouth/plymouthd.conf

DeviceScale=<an-integer-scaling-factor>

and rebuild the initrd.

In that example, mkinitcpio.conf is also not touched, yet to rebuild initrd was in the instructions. So that’s where that idea comes from.

I understand wanting to rather wait a bit, for quite possibly better assistance, so no hard feeling.

Hope you manage!

1 Like

That message is more likely coming from the package “cryptsetup” than from “plymouth”
and to change it you’d need to modify the source code of that package and then re-compile it.
That phrase - or parts of it - certainly do not appear in the source code of “plymouth” and the phrase is the same whether you run plymouth or not …

I have already deleted the text “Please enter passphrase for disk luks…” when switching plymouth plymouth-encrypt to sd-plymouth sd-encrypt in HOOKS:

1. Edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf to change:
HOOKS=( udev ... keymap ... plymouth ... plymouth-encrypt...)

to

HOOKS=( systemd ... sd-vconsole  sd-plymouth  sd-encrypt ...)
  1. Edit /etc/default/grub to change:
GRUBB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="... cryptdevice=UUID=xxxx:yyyy ..."

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="... rd.luks.name=xxxx=yyyy ..."
  1. sudo mkinitcpio -P linux
  2. sudo update-grub
  3. reboot
  4. Done

Thank you very much. I appreciate you have found the possible solution in the ArchWiki. I’ll try.

@Zesko @Nachlese I forgot to specify that only some partitions are encrypted, not the entire disk. Therefore grub is read by a non-encrypted partition; subsequently the graphical interface where that message is present is loaded. I don’t know if this is relevant.

@Zesko This is my current configuration of mkinitcpio.conf

(Only home partion is encrypted)

# vim:set ft=sh
# MODULES
# The following modules are loaded before any boot hooks are
# run.  Advanced users may wish to specify all system modules
# in this array.  For instance:
#     MODULES=(piix ide_disk reiserfs)
MODULES=""

# BINARIES
# This setting includes any additional binaries a given user may
# wish into the CPIO image.  This is run last, so it may be used to
# override the actual binaries included by a given hook
# BINARIES are dependency parsed, so you may safely ignore libraries
BINARIES=()

# FILES
# This setting is similar to BINARIES above, however, files are added
# as-is and are not parsed in any way.  This is useful for config files.
FILES=""

# HOOKS
# This is the most important setting in this file.  The HOOKS control the
# modules and scripts added to the image, and what happens at boot time.
# Order is important, and it is recommended that you do not change the
# order in which HOOKS are added.  Run 'mkinitcpio -H <hook name>' for
# help on a given hook.
# 'base' is _required_ unless you know precisely what you are doing.
# 'udev' is _required_ in order to automatically load modules
# 'filesystems' is _required_ unless you specify your fs modules in MODULES
# Examples:
##   This setup specifies all modules in the MODULES setting above.
##   No raid, lvm2, or encrypted root is needed.
#    HOOKS=(base)
#
##   This setup will autodetect all modules for your system and should
##   work as a sane default
#    HOOKS=(base udev autodetect block filesystems)
#
##   This setup will generate a 'full' image which supports most systems.
##   No autodetection is done.
#    HOOKS=(base udev block filesystems)
#
##   This setup assembles a pata mdadm array with an encrypted root FS.
##   Note: See 'mkinitcpio -H mdadm' for more information on raid devices.
#    HOOKS=(base udev block mdadm encrypt filesystems)
#
##   This setup loads an lvm2 volume group on a usb device.
#    HOOKS=(base udev block lvm2 filesystems)
#
##   NOTE: If you have /usr on a separate partition, you MUST include the
#    usr, fsck and shutdown hooks.
HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap consolefont plymouth filesystems fsck"

# COMPRESSION
# Use this to compress the initramfs image. By default, gzip compression
# is used. Use 'cat' to create an uncompressed image.
#COMPRESSION="gzip"
#COMPRESSION="bzip2"
#COMPRESSION="lzma"
#COMPRESSION="xz"
#COMPRESSION="lzop"
#COMPRESSION="lz4"
#COMPRESSION="zstd"

# COMPRESSION_OPTIONS
# Additional options for the compressor
#COMPRESSION_OPTIONS=()`Testo preformattato`

@philm @Ste74 @codesardine @Chrysostomus @LordTermor How about introducing a more modern plymouth-luks-encrypt screen out of the box? Textless, like in Fedora. I know Manjaro doesn’t use separate encrypted partitions but only fully encrypted disk; this does not give the possibility to have a theme if you choose this solution. However, for those who partition manually, it is possible to have separate encrypted partitions that need to be unlocked on boot: it would be nice and modern to have a minimal Plymouth screen (like the one already present in Manjaro) without the nasty and annoying “Please enter passphrase for disk luks…” (which, moreover, is not even translatable in different languages and doesn’t use user-friendly partition names).

As far as I know, udev and mkinitcpio show annoying text in plymouth-encryption screen by default.

• I switched udev to systemd in HOOKS to remove some text like “Please enter passphrase for disk luks…” in Plymouth-encryption screen.
    (Be careful, you should configure right, otherwise failure at boot, you need chroot your system to fix error.)

• I switched mkinitcpio to dracut or dracut-git to remove some text like “/dev/nvme…” in Plymouth-encryption screen.

I had tried both points myself in the past, this works exactly as you expect.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this additional tip!

I wrote the instruction here above 1 year ago:

This is for GRUB user.

Yes, but as I said thats’my HOOKS line:

HOOKS=“base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap consolefont plymouth filesystems fsck”

There isn’t plymouth-encrypt
Only Root partition is encrypted.

not being able to shut mkinitcpio up through configuration seems like a truly enforcing act. Maybe manjaro should switch to dracut for additional freedom? But this is probably not possible due to introducing incompatibility with arch?

But there is not encrypt in HOOKS?

See: Arch wiki: mkinitcpio - ArchWiki

plymouth package supports plymouth-encrypt hook:

Check $ pacman -Ql plymouth | grep encrypt
The output:

plymouth /usr/lib/initcpio/hooks/plymouth-encrypt
plymouth /usr/lib/initcpio/install/plymouth-encrypt

Can you show us what is the output?
$ sudo lsinitcpio -a /boot/initramfs-[KERNEL-VERSION].img

As far as I know, Manjaro changed the hard dependency mkinitcpio to an “interface” dependency initramfs few weeks ago.
The “interface” dependency initramfs offers you to select a dependency: mkinitcpio or dracut or booster etc… you can install both mikinitcpio and dracut, both create two different initramfs.

well that sounds explicitly good. Just a few weeks ago!

As I mentioned and you can see the plymouth-encrypt entry doesn’t show up. Probably because only the home partition was encrypted (I was wrong in the previous message). If I encrypted the entire root partition that entry would probably appear as well. But I’m not sure. I’m not currently on Manjaro (but I want to go back soon). As I mentioned and you can see the plymouth-encrypt entry doesn’t show up. Probably because only the home partition was encrypted (I was wrong in the previous message). If I encrypted the entire root partition that entry would probably appear as well. But I’m not sure. I’m not currently on Manjaro (but want to go back soon). I was also wondering if these changes hold up to updates.

Is it necessary to switch from mkinitcipio to dracut?

You could go down that rabbit hole. However, what about adding the plymouth-encrypt hook and test it before changing the fundamental structure of initramfs creation?

After changing anything plymouth-related, you have to recreate the initramfs with mkinicpio -P