Dual screens treated as virtual desktop when external monitor is to the left (but not the right)

After experiencing a loss of dual screen support because of an upgrade I now can’t restore my normal monitor arrangement. The dual screen issue is partially resolved except for this.

I have my external monitor set up to the left, but when I choose this option windows maximise across both screens. This does not happen if I set up the external monitor to be on the right. Specifying the external as my primary display does not help. I experience this on both xfce4 and gnome desktops, so I think is something underlying is broken.

Additionally the screen profiles I had stored in xfce-display-manager got deleted when I was trying to make new ones. If I try to remake a profile with same name as one of the old ones it tells me that profile already exists. I’ve tried moving ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml to a temporary directory and logging back in again, but that did not help. I also tried logging into a clean account with no xfce settings and still get the same virtual desktop behaviour.

I used to use a script calling intel-virtual-output and xrandr but these no longer seem to be the relevant underlying commands to bypass incapable desktop environment GUIs.

Does anyone know what to try or how to fix this?

Have a look at my profile and then install the 440 series again as the GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Mobile is supported by that driver

:man_shrugging:

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I tried switching to 440 and the nvidia driver stopped loading altogether. Switching back to 450 then also stopped loading the nvidia driver.

But it seems to be fixed for now after an upgrade to kernel 5.4.71 and nvidia driver 455. Now I can arrange my screens back to the old profile without getting the weird virtual screen behaviour. I guess this was just another typical linux regression error.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.