Dual booting manjaro and pacbang

Just make sure you use only one grub installation from your favourite distro. It will work well with that particular distro. Then manually make custom entries to boot other distros. That’s it.
It is possible to run several grub installations with UEFI boot, but with BIOS boot it is not easy.

1 Like

I think that’s a load of crap. Dual booting various Linux distro has never been a problem for me except with manjaro.

I know what she is trying to say.

But it looks like it’s an issue with ***some Arch-based distros rather than just confined to Manjaro?

If you make Manjaro’s grub the main grub for all the distros you are multibooting, that’s fine because it will of course know Manjaro’s own need for Intel microcode and will insert that bit of script/text into Manjaro’s boot entries in grub.cfg. But I know from experience that if you use another distro’s grub as main grub, it won’t pick up on Manjaro’s need for intel microcode and won’t create the Manjaro boot entry properly in its grub.cfg.

From LizziAS’s photos of her grub errors, it looks like Manjaro’s grub was main grub but it did not pick up on pacbang’s - also Arch-based- same need for the intel microcode.

I’m almost sure that if she used pacbang’s grub as main grub, it would pick up on its own need for intel microcode but will not detect Manjaro’s.

So it appears that the need for Intel microcode or whatever that is in both Manjaro’s and pacbang’s kernels does not seem to translate into proper instructions that the other distro’s grub [?? os-prober??] can pick up.

Is that some weakness of the code in grub or os-prober? Or is that some Arch-based distros just don’t bother to make it so that grub/os-prober can detect the intel microcode requirement properly and create proper grub entries?

When I used another distro’s grub as main grub, I made custom entries in /boot/grub/custom.cfg to be able to boot Manjaro. It looks like since both pacbang and Manjaro have the same problem, whichever distro’s grub is used as main grub will need to include a custom entry for the other distro.

*** I don’t have the same issue with my Apricity (also Arch-based) partition. The grub entry for this distro is created without issue by Manjaro’s grub. I never really checked to see if it had the microcode requirement.

1 Like

“It looks like from photos” is speculative without description what she has done. What is clear, she used a pretty old install media.

1 Like

Lizzi, it’s no help, but the way Manjaro handles the intel ucode is different than Arch (as you’ve found out). Arch’s method is preferred, and that is how Carl handled it in PacBang. My only thought, is that in future you may need to install Manjaro prior to any Arch distros such as PacBang and probably Antergos. Carl may be able to help you with this present problem, or @mandog.

Regards

1 Like

This is what I do to avoid problems like this. Also, I do not need to ‘update-grub’ anywhere including my own grub. In case I need to boot other non-default kernels, I use ‘configfile’ or ‘multiboot’.

But in principle, I agree with LizziAS.
"…a distro should not lock out the abilitiy to install and use other distros simply and easily."
or for that matter, modify any package that makes it difficult for other OS to use it. Locking out other distros is simply worse.

ps: Haven’t we had this discussion before?

2 Likes

Not so sure about that. I know @artoo says it’s speculation, but the pics from LizziAS do seem to show that:

1. Manjaro’s grub was the booting grub,
  2. LizziAS selected “Advanced Options” under the pacbang entries on the main grub menu
  3. in the Advanced Options sub-menu, she selected the second menu entry to boot up pacbang
  4. in doing so, the error message displayed indicates intel ucode error.

I have only ever encountered this error message when my booting grub was from another distro and it was trying to boot Manjaro. My Manjaro grub boots up Apricity (also Arch-based) just fine. To me this indicates that pacbang may have followed Manjaro rather than Arch method of handling ucode.

1 Like

If you use a grub from another distro, you need to supply it with the intel ucode info, See grub manuals how to do that.

1 Like

I don’t anymore as I’m now booting from Manjaro grub. And I do have the prerequisite intel ucode info in custom entries in my other distro in case I go back to using it as booting grub.

But @gohlip 's point is about the principle of the matter, which I agree with:

I have read posts on the Manjaro forum where people use another distro as main booting grub, and after installing Manjaro and updating the other distro’s grub, the ucode error causes them to think that Manjaro’s installer is buggy and installation didn’t complete.

They don’t know about the ucode thing, because what other distro - OK, maybe pacbang but that’s about it - has that issue?

Lots of people dual or multiboot, and if they wish to try out Manjaro but not disrupt their current partition/booting setup, perhaps Manjaro should play nice with that. We should not expect that everyone is going to make Manjaro’s grub the main booting grub.

1 Like

The point is, if I grub-install my manjaro grub instead of using gentoo grub, it will boot just fine.
Note, I have 3 linux OS installed, manjaro, arch, gentoo.

1 Like

Another point therefore arises - Why should other distros need to grub-install Manjaro grub just to ‘play nice’?
Do we need to install libreoffice from Manjaro repositories in other distros just to open libreoffice files there?

[edit] - and, it is misleading to say

[quote=“artoo, post:6, topic:8213”]
however, I use gentoo grub to boot all of them.
[/quote] when you in fact ‘installed’ manjaro’ grub in gentoo os. Not nice. But cheers anyway.

1 Like

Huh?
I have a package grub installed in the filesystem on both gentoo and manjaro.
But only grub gentoo is the grub used on system to boot them all, by issuing “grub-install” command. Not really rocket science.
Each linux has its own /boot partition also.

You got something totally wrong here.
It is my choice to use gentoo grub for all, I could also use the arch or manjaro grub, but I use gentoo, because gentoo kernel names change.

1 Like

So to clarify, you use gentoo grub to boot all OS’s without modifications to grub.cfg (or menu.lst - I think, not sure - gentoo uses grub-legacy)?

If that is the case, it is a miracle.
If you modify its menu.lst, then no big deal. No issue, no biggie, and no surprise.
It’s just like me using my own grub. No big deal.
So cheers anyway.

ps: if gentoo uses grub-legacy, can it boot intel-ucode (in manjaro)?
I understand it boots (gentoo) intel-ucode implemented in kernel.
And if so, intel-ucode in 2 initrd lines or same initrd line?

1 Like

I modified my gentoo grub to detect intel ucode and initramfs*.img, but this has nothing to do with manjaro grub.
Nope, gentoo use grub2 too, I could install legacy grub, but why?

1 Like

[quote=“artoo, post:22, topic:8213”]
I modified my gentoo grub to detect intel ucode and initramfs*.img,
[/quote]Ah… okay.

I was wondering how grub-legacy would boot manjaro’s intel-ucode.img
I thought maybe it couldn’t, just want to confirm it.
And thanks for the answer.

1 Like

All fine with grub, but uefi is absolute trash in my view, I just used it to get a clue about uefi.

1 Like

I wouldn’t put it that way. We all have views, just like we all have xxxxx’s :grinning:
But facts are not opinions and opinions are not facts.
Let’s distinguish the two.

Oh I am now trying out mixing (in the same system) both uefi and bios-legacy and having 3 (containing OS’s) disks of msdos and gpt all mixed up. Got the uefi to boot everything (except the darned msdos windows (no ntldr in uefi) and cannot get the bios-legacy to detect gpt). But … I can boot everything … somehow.

1 Like

But not everyone knows about the ucode thing and the need to modify grub of another distro because this seems to be a problem that affects Manjaro out of so many distros in existence. That is a point that cannot be disputed.

You’re probably right that it is not about Manjaro’s grub in particular, since I believe grub is grub.

However, it is still about how Manjaro in general handles the intel ucode. It makes it so that if any grub tries to read another partition’s distro and that other partition is Manjaro, the grub.cfg entry created for Manjaro just will not come out right without modification.

That possibly explains the pacbang thing if I’m correct. Manjaro grub is still grub. If another partition contains a distro that handles ucode just like Manjaro, Manjaro grub will not be able to create proper grub entry for that other distro as well.

1 Like

You are free to file a feature request whatever, grub packaging is not my business on manjaro, I am the wrong guy to complain at this.

1 Like

From what you said, it is not about grub in Manjaro, right?

It’s about how to make Manjaro’s grub entry come out right when another distro’s grub is being updated. I don’t have the technical knowledge about what exactly Manjaro does differently in its handling of intel ucode to make Manjaro so hard to read correctly.

You make a good point about filing a feature request. However, it will be more or less what is stated in my 2nd paragraph above.

Since I don’t know the technical issues behind this, I would welcome further discussion in this thread about this “handling ucode” thing. How come Manjaro does it so differently?

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark