Dual Boot Win 10 EFI

My knowledge in linux isn’t very famous, you know, so I didn’t unterstand your last tip.

that means - repeat the line without --force

sudo efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part 7 --loader /EFI/Manjaro/grubx64.efi --label "manjaro" --verbose
[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ sudo efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part 7 --loader /EFI/Manjaro/grubx64.efi --label "manjaro" --verboseBootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0005,0004,2001,2003,0001,2002
Boot0000* EFI USB Device (Generic USB Storage)	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x10,0x0)/USB(2,0)/HD(2,MBR,0x78e59ba7,0x308638,0x2000)RC
Boot0001* Lenovo Recovery System	HD(3,GPT,747f2e5a-44be-4087-9141-0c0804529f6e,0x276800,0x1f4000)/File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\LrsBootMgr.efi)RC
Boot0002* EFI Network 0 for IPv4 (C4-54-44-49-02-90) 	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x3)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/MAC(c45444490290,0)/IPv4(0.0.0.0:0<->0.0.0.0:0,0,0)RC
Boot0003* EFI Network 0 for IPv6 (C4-54-44-49-02-90) 	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x3)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/MAC(c45444490290,0)/IPv6([::]:<->[::]:,0,0)RC
Boot0004* Windows Boot Manager	HD(2,GPT,6ab2d88e-be9e-4034-bfe5-4ab130510d2d,0x1f4800,0x82000)/File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi)WINDOWS.........x...B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}....................
Boot0008* EFI Network 0 for IPv4 (C4-54-44-49-02-90) 	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x3)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/MAC(c45444490290,0)/IPv4(0.0.0.0:0<->0.0.0.0:0,0,0)RC
Boot0009* EFI Network 0 for IPv6 (C4-54-44-49-02-90) 	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x3)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/MAC(c45444490290,0)/IPv6([::]:<->[::]:,0,0)RC
Boot2001* EFI USB Device	RC
Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM	RC
Boot2003* EFI Network	RC
Boot0005* manjaro	HD(7,GPT,5e367802-4086-4021-994b-3fcbfeff4850,0x1d2cd000,0x64800)/File(\EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi)
[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ 

Great - now we set the manjaro boot entry active

sudo efibootmgr -b 0005 -a

No need - it is already the first in BootOrder

Try reboot and let’s see if we got it.

bootorder now: 0005 first

shall I now reboot, without the manjaro live-Stick?

Yes - it will be nice to know if we made it - don’t you think?

Little (?) problem.
Grub seems to be the first for Booting, very hopeful! BUT:

(Blackscreen like linux)
“Welcome to GRUB”
error: unknown filesystem.
Entering rescue mode…
grub rescue>

Well - then you have to restart on the Live USB

Start done, what further?

@Amitl
Take a look at this.
Read first post completely.

Some notes for you…
o It does not matter how you boot into your installed Manjaro, as long as you boot into it.
o make sure you booted in uefi.
o check before doing step 6 commands your $esp is there by using command
findmnt /boot/efi
o Do the step 6 UEFI Additional commands.
It’s okay you do again these commands. but make sure you do first
sudo grub-install
sudo update-grub
o If still need help, provide the info required as listed in the link.

Good luck.

Note: Please provide output of following when you boot up and after you do the commands.

efibootmgr -v

Hello,
at step 5 I dont get in the OS, i have installed.
First comes this

next step ist here, but none of the manjaro bootloaders start the installed system

excuse me, I am in despair

Then use my method.
step 2. Do not boot up to OS.
Press ‘c’ at menu…

Do not despair. I think you can fix it.
There might be something not done right, like for example
$esp is wrong or no $esp at installation.
And that’s why I ask for your
findmnt /boot/efi
findmnt -s

May be other things, but we’ll get it fixed.

ps: It is late my time zone, take your time, maybe take a break; no hurry. Relax.

Yes, gohlip, relaxing is right.
It’s very reassuring, that you want to take my hand.
And soon I will fix it.
Now at work. Writing here as soon as I have the ideapad in my fingers again!

Thanks for now.
Anthony

1 Like

@Amitl
It seems to me that you have been trying to install Manjaro - but never succeeded.

As I noted last time - you have an awful lot of partitions. I know @gohlip is confident and he is right - it is doable - but the partition mess must be cleaned up somehow.

As you stated with smile

I am famous for my Linux knowledge

And I get it. What I will suggest will take some time but I sincerely think it is the best course of action. You need to reset your system to a known workable state.

As I see your system (the blkid command) your system came with Windows 8 and your system has since been upgraded to Windows 10.

That upgrade has left an enormous amount of dead data on your system and that needs to be cleaned.

1. From the boot media select to boot your Windows installation the first entry on (hd0.gpt12).

Please translate the english names as I don’t know the German equivalents

1. Open Windows Explorer Filemanager and select This computer.
  2. Rightclick on you local drive C:Properties
  3. Click on Disk Cleanup button → wait
  4. Click on the Cleanup Systemfiles → wait
  5. check all items in the list (including the old Windows installation) → OK
  6. Wait → wait until finished.
  7. Close all windows

When you are done

Backup any data you might want to keep to an external location of any kind.

EDIT: July 19, 2018 2:54 PM (Europe: Paris), July 19, 2018 5:54 AM (America: Los Angeles)

I came to realize that this will not work.

3. Click StartSettingsUpdate and SecurityRestoreGet StartedRemove Everything
When the process has completed you should have a clean working Windows 10 installation.

Instead you must delete the partitions from Disk Manager before considering shrinking the Windows C: drive.

1. So boot into Windows.
  2. Rightclick on Start → select Disk Manager
  3. In Disk Manager - delete all partions without a LABEL.

If you now have sufficient space for a partition for Manjaro then skip the next steps

a. In Disk Manager - rightclick on your Windows drive C: → select Shrink partition
b. A reasonable partition for Manjaro - depending on available space - would be 32768-65536 MiB. (32-64GiB)
c. When you are ready click Shrink

When you are done you are ready for the Manjaro installation.

Some will argue that one should select the auto partition in the Disk preparation section but the approach described here ensures no messing with the Windows partition and therefore no problems with Windows removing the Manjaro bootloader.

1. Reboot your computer to the live USB media.
  2. Launch the graphical installer
  3. Follow the guide until you reach the Disk selection/preparation
  4. Select Manual partitioning (last option) → Next.
  5. Insure the right disk is selected - should be easy to see.
  6. Select the unpartitioned space → Create
    a. Size → input 512
    b. Filesystem → select FAT32
    c. Mountpoint → select /boot/efi
    d. Flags → check boot and espOK
  7. Select the unpartitioned space → Create
    a. Size → input 2048
    b. Filesystem → select linuxswap
    c. Flags → check swapOK
  8. Select the unpartitioned space → Create
    a. Size → Use remaining
    b. Filesystem → select ext4
    c. Mountpoint → select / (root) → OK
  9. Next
  10. Continue with the guide and when finished do not reboot.
  11. Open a terminal
  12. Input efibootmgrEnter
  13. Verify the BootOrder - you should have a manjaro entry and the corresponding number should be first in the BootOrder

Should this not be the case you can use @gohlip 's instructions now you know the exact partition layout.

Reboot

This post has been recreated as a tutorial containing extra information what to do.

1 Like

Oh, very nice.
I did understand all and will apply it completely this afternoon.

Thank you very much, especially for the tipps cleaning up my windows.
I think a lot of partitions have been created through several installations of manjaro 17.

I know, my english is not very good, but I’m sure it’s better than my knowledge in linux…!

Till later.
A.

2 Likes

That’s OK - I am Danish so English is my second language too.

Life is one long learning experience …

1 Like

@Amitl
Something is bugging me - All those partitions - I strikes me that the Windows reset - Remove all, might not touch the partitions.

If that is so - you will note it, when you come to the Disk Manager - shrink partion part

Now I did it.
Installing swap und root and (what I akways had forgotten) /boot/efi according to Nr. 6 - 8 of your very good “Manual”.

Rebooting and Grub give me manjaro and Win to choose, as I needed and wanted.
Thank you.

Its not the right forum , but now I will try, to finish the disorder on my disk (sda 1-sda17, most of it without function, I think), without destroying running Win 10-System.

Thank you all very much
Anthony

1 Like