Dual boot update causes kernel panic

I installed Manjaro alongside Mint a few months ago and decided today I would log into Mint and do updates. That went well but when trying to boot back into Manjaro I get this screen:

IMG_5459
I’m wondering if there’s a way to save it from the Mint install rather than just doing a nuke and pave?

grub script is different between Manjaro and others DE
we use microcode + kernel boot ,
other use kernel boot only

so restart with your USB stick install
open a terminal

manjaro-chroot -a
fdisk -l ( check your partition name )
update-grub /dev/sda ( <-- partition where is your grub install )

exit for leaving chroot

then restart

Thanks for the quick reply.

I didn’t have any luck. It seemed to work fine, manjaro-chroot recognized the mint and manjaro installs and gave me an option to select one. I ran update-grub on sda1, it updated and then I restarted to the same screen.

I was using an an old lxde image (the system I’d like to revive is current xfce). Going to try again w an updated image and save the update-grub output.

Edit:
On second thought, was I correctly choosing to chroot into the manjaro install or should I have chroot-ed into the mint install to update-grub from the live image?

You were right, you need to restore grub by chrooting into the Manjaro install. But I believe you need to first (re)install grub from the Manjaro chroot, then update it (so Manjaro is controlling grub, not Mint):

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub

This general tutorial for restoring the bootloader might also be helpful:

I got something weird trying to run grub-install so I did update-grub instead and pasted my session here: https://pastebin.com/SvkmGKJd

I think your problem with grub-install there is that you tried installing grub to /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/sda.

Grub should be installed to the disk, not the partition. There’s just one MBR for the disk, and that’s where you should install Manjaro’s grub, overwriting Mint’s, so it will use Manjaro’s grub configuration file instead of Mint’s.

1 Like

Ah, I ran it again, got more weirdness I don’t know what ‘Flexnet’ is?

[manjaro /]# grub-install /dev/sda
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: warning: Sector 32 is already in use by the program `FlexNet’; avoiding it. This software may cause boot or other problems in future. Please ask its authors not to store data in the boot track.
Installation finished. No error reported.
[manjaro /]# update-grub /dev/sda
Generating grub configuration file …
Found background: /usr/share/grub/background.png
Found Intel Microcode image
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.14-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.9-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-4.9-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-4.9-x86_64-fallback.img
WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
Found Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (18.3) on /dev/sda1
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done
[manjaro /]#

Restarting now, fingers crossed.

That worked! Thank you!

1 Like

Good to hear. This issue will reoccur, though, every time Mint updates its grub package (since it will reinstall grub and overwrite Manjaro’s). Maybe the easiest way to avoid this is to prevent Mint from updating grub. I think you can lock the package version in synaptic.

The method I use is to install grub from other linux installations to the partition rather than the disk, so an update won’t overwrite the MBR. But it looks like you’re using ext2 and installing to the partition is not possible.

I’m not sure where ext2 is though?

[ez@ez-manjaro ~]$ lsblk -f
NAME FSTYPE LABEL UUID MOUNTPOINT
sda
├─sda1 ext4 26e60072-588b-4c2d-8959-c5fd5b6e5b00
├─sda2
├─sda3 ext4 35f22ed5-7a64-4d33-afc9-6d5d762e2e67 /
└─sda5 swap df907df1-f373-4635-aa32-ca20397da3e8 [SWAP]
sdb
└─sdb1 ext4 4a55162e-a70e-47ac-946e-1ef468291c8d
sdc iso9660 MJRO1706 2017-10-26-17-59-06-00
├─sdc1 iso9660 MJRO1706 2017-10-26-17-59-06-00
└─sdc2 vfat MISO_EFI 0431-AB59
sr0

It seems that flexnet is DRM ‘stuff’.

I probably won’t be updating Mint anymore after this, the only reason I keep it around is that Manjaro seems to not like to auto-mount or sometimes recognize usb drives. Which is another issue though, I’ll work through it soon enough.

1 Like

Good to hear you’ve fixed this.

However,

I think if we want to keep an OS, it should be well maintained. To prevent Mint from overriding Manjaro grub in future, see this link. There is another link inside there which can clarify further should you need it. Basically you set other OS’s grub to their own partitions.

Cheers, good luck.

Thanks for the link! Cimmaronline also mentioned that as well. Will def keep it in mind going forward.

I’m leaning towards opting out of Mint altogether. Or am in the process off. Today’s issue helped me realize the real power in having a live image around. No real need for an entire second OS in my use. Since I’ve installed Manjaro this is the second time in 3 or 4 months I’ve booted it and only to update.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark