Dual-boot trouble

Hello, Last week I decided I would use linux, the distro I chose is Manjaro. I still needed my windows 7 as this computer is a shared coputer between my family. Recently, I cant boot into windows 7, when I turn on my pc it just instantly boots into Manjaro, last week it can boot into windows7 as there would be an option to choose but there was no more options, it just boots into windows 7. Im a little bit scared tht my father would find out as he use this computer for his work and all his documents are on this pc.
Laptop Im using=Acer Aspire 5 (i5 3rd gen) mobile

Again… :tired_face: Before update you should always read update announcement, the solution for your dualboot problem is described here.

• OS prober does not run and adds other operating systems Please click the ► at the beginning of this line to view this solution

Manualy add the line GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false to /etc/default/grub
Run sudo update-grub

2 Likes

I updated my Grub but still no menu, so when I boot my computer I hold down shift the menu showd up but grub doesnt detect tht I have Windows 7.

U need to Edit your grub file & add a line & then update grub

To edit grub:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Now add this line:

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

Now ‘Ctrl+o’, press ‘Enter’ to save & ‘Ctrl+x’ to exit

Now just run:

sudo update-grub

Use this command to show the GRUB menu

sudo sed -i 's/TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden/TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu/g' /etc/default/grub

Then this command to uncomment the option for os-prober to find the proprietary OS

sudo sed -i 's/#GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false/GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false/g' /etc/default/grub

then update grub and reboot

sudo update-grub && reboot

Boot menu borked after updating - #16 by nikgnomic

Thank you, Grub detected windows 10(but its supposed to be windows7) but one more issue, firstly this laptop only have windows7 but then I installed windows 10 along side it and then I discovered Manjaro so I formatted the windows 10 partition and install manjaro on it. But there was an issue where it would show up a frown face : ( and(Error Code: 0xc000000f) I have to press F9 to go to Win7
THIS IS SOOO ANNOYNG and if I dont get this fixed IM SO DEAD cuz this is not my laptop its my father’s.
Sorry for how messy this looks I suck at this

You should not install other operating systems on a computer that does not belong to you.

Take the fall like a man.

Closed as not a Manjaro issue but a Windows issue.

2 Likes