Dual Boot suddenly isn't working

Sorry, the command that @Wollie recommended:

powercfg.exe /hibernate off

It’s going to be a little while before I have a big enough block of time to boot the ISO and run the checks you recommended, but I’ll get back to you all when that does happen. Thank you all!

I just thought about this but you could go into your boot order by pressing one of the f keys at boot. Try booting your Manjaro install from that.

Things are happening! I can apparently access the different TTYs after I choose to boot Manjaro from GRUB. Is this an indicator that it’s a graphics driver issue?

Yes possibly did you try booting from an older kernel?

I tried it last week, but I’ll give it another shot. Thanks for your patience!

Guess who’s typing this from a somewhat functioning Manjaro desktop? :grin:

Yea it’s no problem I’m here to help. :grin:

Sweet! :+1:

So, um, should I just kind of keep booting on this older kernel and hope it gets fixed soon? Or is there something more permanent that can be done?

If you don’t mind me wasting a tiny bit more of your time.

Your not waisting my time! No ok so what kernel version is not working? And what one worked?

inxi -Fazy gave me: Kernel: 5.7.19-2-MANJARO x86_64

That’s the one that’s working. Give me a second to break my computer again…

That is a fairly old kernel a newer one would probably work better. The current kernel is 5.9.11 so 5.7 is old. If it works for you you can also try the LTS kernel it’s 5.4 but if you don’t need any advanced kernel stuff 5.4 will probably work especially with an nvidia gpu.

Emerges from the underbrush, wipes dirt off of jeans.
So I ran 5.9.11-3, 5.8.18-1, and 5.7.19-2 by selecting each from the GRUB Advanced Manjaro Settings menu. 5.7.19-2 works great, 5.8.18-1 puts me in emergency mode (it displayed Failed to start Load Kernel Modules if you’re curious, but I figure that’s irrelevant for our purposes), and 5.9.11-3 gives me the error I described.

Running inxi -Fazy from TTY in 5.9 gives me this under Graphics:

driver: N/A alternate: nouveau ...

No suprise there.

The kernel menu in settings says those are the only three installed.

I’m not exactly using cutting edge tech over here. Do you figure I should switch to LTS, maybe until there’s a fix?

So you don’t have the nvidia proprietary drivers installed?

Uhhhh…

I don’t think so? 5.9 gave me what I sent above, but running inxi -Fazy in 5.7 gives me this under Graphics:

driver: nvidia v: 440.100 alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm ...

We’re definitely beyond the area of my expertise here, sorry.

Oh no this is good information! So when your in the 5.7 kernel is that the newest nvidia driver it will let you install?

Sorry for all the questions but I think we are almost at a solution :smiley:

Not sure, how do I check?

And NP, I love it! I’m having fun here!

Oh wait, it looks like I can install up through v455. I think.