Dual Boot suddenly isn't working

Yea I paused it it’s all good I have been decorating for Christmas so I have been playing on and off all day.

Yea I think you have to remove the old driver first like you said but it’s up to you if you wanna take that chance?

I am actually surprised that your driver didn’t stay up to date by itself it should come with updates :thinking:

Haha so I tried to remove and I got:

Changes failed

Starting
> Removing video-nvidia-440xx...
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/video-nvidia-440xx/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
Processing classid: 0302
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing linux58-nvidia-440xx breaks dependency 'linux58-nvidia-440xx' required by linux-latest-nvidia-440xx
Error: pacman failed!
Error: script failed!

Done ...

Did you try to change it to the open source driver?

Not yet. Is the driver the same across all kernels? Or can I change change the driver from 5.9 without worry of affecting anything when I boot 5.7 again?

To tell you the truth I do not know but I do know that the driver needs to build for each kernel so you may be correct.

I’m booting into my install with my nvidia card now so I can see for myself how to do the removing and reinstalling thing

Mine uninstalled with no issue :thinking:.

You were able to uninstall video-nvidia-440xx (or what’s the current version on yours?) just from system settings? Just by right-clicking and clicking “Remove?”

When I booted 5.9, I couldn’t install 450 or 455 (same errors as before), and tried installing 440 but it said it was already installed. But I successfully installed the video-linux. I then rebooted (same kernel), and still got a black screen. Still lists N/A as the driver under graphics. Did I just install, but not actually switch drivers? Not sure what’s going on.

It seems odd that video-nvidia-440xx is installed, but the kernel doesn’t seem to recognize it. Any ideas?

The 440 driver is probably too old for the newer kernel so that’s why it’s giving you issues. Maybe try installing the 5.4 kernel and boot from that and try removing the 440 driver. Maybe with an older kernel it will uninstall correctly. Nice thing about Manjaro is all this is doable with a gui.

Btw no it was the 455 driver I uninstalled.

I did find this I don’t know if it will help or not.

2 Likes

Hell yeah! Thank you so much, @joshontech ! You’re the best!

What seems to have been the problem:
An outdated version of the Nvidia driver (440 was installed, the latest was 455). I couldn’t install the latest version because it conflicted with the outdated version. And I couldn’t uninstall the outdated version because it was a dependency of linux-latest-nvidia-440xx, whatever that is.

Summary of the fix:

When I got to the blank screen, I pressed Ctrl+Alt+F2 to enter a terminal.

I then uninstalled the thing that had video-nvidia-440xx as its dependency, as per the recommendations in this post. (Note that this may have had other consequences. I hope it didn’t!)

sudo pacman -R linux-latest-nvidia-440xx

I then uninstalled the outdated version of the driver by accessing “Hardware Configuration” from within System settings. Here I right-clicked the outdated driver, clicked “Remove,” right-clicked the latest version, clicked “Install,” and I was done!

This last step could also have been done from the command line with

mhwd -l
sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-440xx
sudo mwhd -i pci video-nvidia-455xx

The first command lists the driver options, the second uninstalls the outdated driver, and the third installs the latest driver (to the best of my understanding).

NB: As a temporary fix, I was able to boot an older kernel from the GRUB boot menu, under “Advanced Settings for Manjaro” (or something with a similar name). The older kernel, 5.7, was apparently still compatible with the outdated driver.

1 Like

This did work for you :grin:

Yes! Thank you so much for all the help! Sorry for taking up a bunch of your time, but you were incredibly helpful. And this was an excellent learning experience. :grin: Enjoy your holidays!

It’s absolutely no problem at all! I love Linux as much as the next guy so I wanna help as many people as I can with it. Plus I’m going to school for linux systems administration so I need to know this stuff.

But still, you didn’t have to stick around through this. I really owe you one, so if you ever find yourself having forgotten what the command to list files in a directory is, hit me up! (That’s about the extent of my Linux abilities.)

Hahaha it’s all good hey you know what you can hear me and the other guys on Mintcast podcast if you wanna listen. You can just search for Mintcast on any podcast catcher and we even have a youtube channel. Be warned I am a huge btrfs advocate :rofl:.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.