Dual Boot Question Again

I bet this has been answered before, but I also bet it will take me a very long time to find the info if I use Google. Anyway, I just finished setting up Manjaro just how I like today, so I do NOT want to start from scratch again, lol. Yet stupid Windows ups and breaks on me immediately after I installed Manjaro.

So I have a dual boot setup, Windows 10 and Manjaro XFCE (stable 17.0.2). It’s a typical setup with two main partitions and one hidden active 500 MB partition that Windows installer created (you know the one). Anyway, something is wrong with Windows and I want a fresh clean install of the latest 1703 build, but I know that will kill Grub and prevent me from booting into Manjaro. I have used this Linux partition for about the last 50 distro hops/installs, lol.

How can I install Windows again in that same partition and immediately get grub back? I think the partitions are as follows.

sda1 (500 MB hidden Active for Window bootloader) Is this where Grub is located on the drive?
sda2 (60GB Windows 10)
sda3 (60GB Manjaro 17)

Grub was placed in sda (not a partition number according to the Manjaro installer). Below is an image from Disk Manager. Thank you!

After reinstalling windows, you can use this to get back manjaro bootloader. With the new manjaro install media versions 17.0.1 and above, there is now no need to boot to livecd. Instead you can use that newer install media to boot to manjaro and then get back your bootloader. This will explain how.

Just remember to
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub

after you’ve booted to Manjaro.
Good luck.

ps: I assume of course you’re on msdos/bios-legacy.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the straightforward response. And yes, I am currently on legacy bios and ssd is msdos/mbr, for now. But that is actually changing in a few weeks.

EDIT: Oh My, I just realized you’re a real pro in these regards. I have a special situation coming up here soon where I will be retiring and disabling my SATA ports completely, and using my BIOS to boot DUET UEFI (arch based), and then booting a Samsung SM961 M.2 SSD on a 7 year old Intel Xeon machine. It is a highly unusual setup in my opinion, so I may need some extra smart Linux guys to help me figure it out. I already tried it with my Father’s NVMe SSD (960 Pro) and Windows 10 and it works perfectly, so I am ordering my own NVMe SSD and retiring my SATA boot drives forever (at least on the main PC). Someday I will have a real UEFI machine, but until then I am brute forcing the situation now, lol.

1 Like