Dual Boot manjaro and windows 10. Not able to boot into manjaro

Hello. I need some assistance resolving a dual boot issue I have just started having. My computer is setup to dual boot Manjaro (I believe version 18) and Windows 10. when I installed it a year and a half ago, I set it up to dual boot bios not uefi. I have a Asus ROG STRIX TRx40–XE motherboard with threadripper and 128g ram. Radeon 6700 graphics card if that matters. When I power on the Manjaro boot menu comes up allowing me to choose Manjaro or Windows. I have another rig running arch so I don’t use Manjaro on this machine very often. A couple of days ago I did boot to Manjaro to use Hashcat and my Wifi-Pineapple. I did not update Manjaro (still version 18 i think) but did install a software called hcxtool to work with some .pcap files in hashcat. No problems at that point that I know of. I use this machine for windows normally. After using windows 10 and then trying to log back into manjaro I get a ton of errors and no ability to access gui or cli. WIndows 10 still works fine. Here are links too pics of the errors I get https://imgur.com/a/G6avkCW https://imgur.com/a/uK72aDE[https://imgur.com/a/uK72aDE](https://imgur.com/a/uK72aDE). I typically would just poke around and try to fix this error but I have some very important data on Windows10 and pictures on manjaro that I can not lse. I thought asking people that are more competent than I would be a good idea. There are a number of posts I have found addressing similar boot failures but most of them are failures with the windows10 not booting, or only in UEFI mode. Could anyone give me any guidance in chrooting into the system and fixing the errors(whatever they are). I have not done much work on filesystems in that fashion. I can provide more pointed outputs if that could help. Thank you kindly.

There’s your problem. Your system is in a partial-upgrade state, because the package you installed pulled in newer versions of shared libraries while the rest of your system is several years old already and has not been updated since.

Manjaro is a rolling-release distribution and must be kept updated. One can skip the update for a little while — say a few months — and recover from that, albeit with a bit of work. However, not updating your system in years is not supported, and even less so if you’re going to be installing the latest packages in such an old system.

My advice to you is to either reinstall the system with a recent .iso — which you can find here — or to just forget about Manjaro as a whole and continue using your machine with Microsoft Windows, because I’m afraid you’ve painted yourself into such a small corner that no other options exist, and expecting us to attempt fixing a partial upgrade scenario with a base system that’s at least four years old already really is too much to ask from a community of volunteers.

:man_shrugging:

Thank you for the response Sir. I did not do a very good job of explaining my questions. The system is only about a year and 5 months old. I have not used the computer for about a year as I very rarely need Windows and I built another rig that I have Arch on as a daily OS. I want to dedicate the Manjaro to gaming which several people recommended Manjaro for that because of the driver support. It’s a pretty beefy computer that I would like to harness the power of for gaming. I just need some guidance getting the OS functioning again. I created a bootable USB with Manjaro and can access the filesystem on the dual boot system. I have also backed-up both OSs to external drives. Most of the experience I have is with UEFI not legacy BIOS. Can anyone point me in the right direction in fixing the issue. Can I chroot into the system and update without breaking everything? Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Please use new lines when a sentence ends, i could not read your wall of text… it makes me dizzy…

GNU/Linux is not an operating system meant for gaming. The gaming support in GNU/Linux is only a port of the Windows-native gaming engines. And yes, you can play games in GNU/Linux, but it’ll never be the same as running those games on Windows.

No — I’ve told you that already. Your installation is just too old. Reinstalling is your only option.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.