Dual Boot Manjaro and Pop! OS

Hello,

I want dual boot Manjaro Xfce and Pop! OS so I have setup like this:

sda1: Pop!OS
sda2: Manjaro XFCE
sda4: swap

I used this help guide:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/GRUB/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

But I don’t get into Manjaro GRUB when I turn on the laptop to select the OS I want to boot to. It goes straight to Manjaro

Manjaro is flaged as boot
GRUB is on sda.
This is a BIOS old laptop.
What am I doing wrong?

Tap Esc or Shift during boot.

2 Likes

FYI, Pop!_OS uses systemd-boot. However, os-prober should still find the EFI entry and add it to the GRUB menu.

Make sure this line in your Manjaro /etc/default/grub looks like this:

# Uncomment this option to enable os-prober execution in the grub-mkconfig command
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

Meaning? UEFI has been around for over 10 years. How old is your system?

1 Like

Pop! Os does not show…only Manjaro entry,

I checked that file and it show li that.

When updated GRUB using the guide above it said it found Pop!OS but Manjaro GRUB does not show at start up…

The laptop is from 2006/2007.
It has onde hdd with 3 partitions.

sda1: Is where I install several distros (had Linux Mint before and it dual booted fine because installed it with no boatloader using ubiquity-b command.

sda2: Is where I keep Manjaro XFCE. I had to fresh install it because it was slow and consuming lot of RAM, but I really like this Distro and this community so I always keep Manjaro there.

sda3: 3GB swapfile.

I can do all from scratch if needed because both OS are fresh installs.

There is no need to install anything from scratch. What’s the output of the following when booting into Manjaro:

sudo update-grub

And:

efibootmgr
[jesuslinux@T2310 ~]$ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for jesuslinux: 
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Found Pop!_OS 21.10 (21.10) on /dev/sda1
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done
[jesuslinux@T2310 ~]$ efibootmgr
EFI variables are not supported on this system.
![](upload://mqFAuULKr0Zdvhj8BAGuLumInhL.png)
[jesuslinux@T2310 ~]$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
[sudo] password for jesuslinux: 
Disk /dev/sda: 74,53 GiB, 80026361856 bytes, 156301488 sectors
Disk model: TOSHIBA MK8037GS
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x723b9227

Device     Boot     Start       End  Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sda1            2048  74967037 74964990 35,7G 83 Linux
/dev/sda2  *     74967040 150005759 75038720 35,8G 83 Linux
/dev/sda4       150005760 156296383  6290624    3G 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Your BIOS should have a boot menu to manually select a boot entry. Does Pop! show there?

No, if go into BIOS the option I have is to boot hdd or to USB drive if inserted.
When I had Linux Mint on sda1 everything was working fine.
The Manjaro GRUB showed at start up to select OS.
I replaced LM XFCE with PoP!OS and was able to boot into Pop!OS once with Manjaro GRUB after chroot and update GRUB.
Then I did a fresh install of Manjaro on sda2 (because it was bloated and slow) and now no Manjaro GRUB show when I start ancient laptop…

That’s not what I meant. There should be a keyboard shortcut to enter the boot menu while booting up. For example, F2 to enter BIOS, F12 to enter the boot menu.

Nope, it does show F12 boot options show hdd or cd-rom (yes it has one lol).
When I press Esc after booting to hdd Manjaro Grub appears but no Pop!OS entry shows…

Did I mess something with the clean install of Manjaro?

F2 and F12 were just examples. Depends on your hardware manufacturer / BIOS what buttons they would be. Time to check the manual, perhaps.

Those keys are right for the Thoshiba laptop.
F2 to BIOS
F12 to boot devices

Which did you install first? Manjaro or Pop!_OS?

Have you upgraded to Pop!_OS 21.10 yet (if you installed it before the recent release)?

Both OS are the most recent ISO version.
I installed Pop!OS on sda1 and had a bugy slow manjaro on xfce. I updated Grub in chroot and at this time was able to boot into Pop!OS and Manjaro. Manjaro Grub showed Pop! Grub entry at start up allowing me to choose which OS to boot.
Then I did a clean install of Manjaro replacing the buggy one on sda2 with bootloader on sda and / (root) on sda2. Updated Grub again with chroot live usb.
After this Pop OS does not show anymore and when I start PC ti goes right into Manjaro. No GRUB shows…

I’m open to clean install both OS from scratch since both are clean installs. I just want to make sure I am able to choose which OS to boot to like before using Manjaro Grub .

Follow this guide to restore the Pop!_OS bootloader, then reinstall GRUB in Manjaro:

I think I fixed it…
Will test more tomorrow.
I had to re install Pop!OS and then get into Manjaro via chroot and update GRUB like the guide I posted above…
Let´s see if it holds…

Thank you for your time Merry Christamas

1 Like