Dual boot efi problems need a little help

Dual boot efi problems need a little help

Long story short it seems I have a Lenovo H50 computer that is locked to windows.

After installing manjaro I have to boot with the usb and select the correct efi to boot into manjaro.

After some googleing it seems Lenevo will only accect the /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi file.

Seems the only thing that works is moving the windows boot file out of the directory and replacing it with the one from Manjaro.

sudo cp /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/bootmgfw.efi
sudo cp /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/core.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

Now my questions are.

If windows updates does the /boot/efi partition get altered or erased? Should the repair be just boot the Manjaro usb installer select manjaro efi off boot menu and run above commands again.

How ofter would I have to replace this file? Updated kernel drivers, any kind of major Manjaro update, after anything requiring grub-install?
Sorry I am not sure of what info is included in an efi file.

What are the steps to repair the damange if windows deletes the /boot/efi/boot and /boot/efi/Manjaor directories.

This is my main concern here being able to easily recover if the /boot/efi partition is altered by Windows or something in Manjaro needs the bootmgfw.efi updated

Does the wiki https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader#Identify_and_Prepare_the_Installed_Partition.28s.29 basically what I need to do?

Am I anywhere near close in solving this or should I just give up on dual booting this system. Windows is needed unfortunately.

First, take a look at this.
Then take a look at that.

Yes.

Whenever windows messes up again. Not every windows update will mess this up. Only some (not a lot) major windows updates.

The same procedure.

No easy procedure. Answers above.

Best you follow the first 2 links. It’s easier or nothing else easier.

Up to you. If I were you and your Lenovo is returnable within warrantee period, I’ll return it.
But entirely up to you.

ps: your command

sudo cp /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/bootmgfw.efi

does nothing. I’m afraid you’ve overridden the file /bootmgfw.efi with the next command you did.
You must reinstall windows boot. And then redo (reinstall) Manjaro boot and then do again the the first 2 links.

1 Like

It moved the bootmgfw.efi up one directory. See: Grub not booting unless i manually boot it from live CD

The second one replaced the file. System would boot with the grub menu
Manjaro Linux
Advaced options for Manjaro linux
Winddows (on /dev/sda2)

I was worried about having some left over files floating around after playing around yesterday so last thing I did was wipe the drive and reinstall windows.

Wanted to see what my options are before attempting another dual boot install.

Thanks for you help!

Yes, it did. My astigmatism is playing games on me. :grin: Sorry for the scare.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.