Dual Boot: Cannot Boot into Manjaro - accidental shutdown while updating

A while ago I accidentally shut my laptop down while performing an update via pamac. When I turn the computer on now, I am presented with message below:

GRU GRUB version 2.04"manjaro
Minimal BASH-like line editing is suported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

I can still load into the Windows paritition via the boot menu and via a live usb boot I can tell that all of files in the manjaro installation are fine.

I would appreciate some help in fixing whatever aspect of Manjaro I’ve broken or a pointer to a previous thread or wiki page that I’ve missed. While I am relatively tech savy when it comes to windows, I know very little about linux so please feel free to reply as if talking to a small child.

Thanks very much in advance.

Well i would say, you should chroot your laptop:

1. boot from am manjaro live disk.
  2. type manjaro-chroot -a in a terminal.
  3. then continue the upgrade:

Get all a full mirrorlist

sudo pacman-mirrors -c all 

Fasttrack 5 of them

sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5

clean the cache and full upgrade

sudo pacman -Syyu
3 Likes

Thanks.

When I try:

sudo pacman -Syyu

I recieve:

error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/local/lib32-vulkan-radeon-20.1.3-1/desc: no such file or directory
resolving dependecies
looking for conflicting packages…
warning: could not fully load metadata for package lib32-vulkan-radeon-20.1.3-1
error: failed to prepare transaction (invalid or corrupted package)

1 Like

Remove everything from the cache folder:

sudo pacman -Scc

then try again

sudo pacman -Syyu
1 Like

I’ve cleaned the cache but it give me the same error when I try to complete the upgrade.

ok no problem… then you need to delete this manually:

sudo rm -R /var/lib/pacman/local/lib32-vulkan-radeon-20.1.3-1/
1 Like

Thanks very much, that allowed me to complete the upgrade.

When I boot up, I now boot into manjaro but windows is not shown in the grub can now boot into my manjaro parition but Windows is not listed in the grub bootloader, I don’t suppose you know how to fix this?

1 Like
sudo os-prober

and

sudo update-grub

should do the trick.

4 Likes

Wonderful, could not have asked for more.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.