Dual-boot alongside Linux Mint

Hi all,

i purchased an acer aspire laptop with win 10 pre-installed. I installed linux mint alongside Win10 and it works fine.
Then I installed manjaro on a further partition (just because I have heard so much good about it). But manjaro wouldn’t boot; I just got a black screen.
This seems so be a known issue since I’ve searched the forums and found others had similar issues due to Linux Mint’s GRUB2 bootloader.
The problem is that after 2-3 years of Linux Mint I consider myself still to be a Linux newbie

I’m sure my problem has to do with GRUB2. Can anyone help me out? I’m really lost.
Thanks!
(I will happily post my configuration etc…)

those would be of great help to you and others helping you, some most helpfull terminal commands and how to post them are here:

so you first had windows 10, then installed mint dual-boot, and last but not least manjaro and now you have all 3 still remaining, correct?

1 Like

since your unable to get manjaro to boot and you think its mint’s grub2 (iirc, manjaro would of replaced this with manjaro’s grub, but i could definitely be wrong) start by rebooting to the live usb installer so you can use manjaro-chroot to access your installed manjaro system.
do the following:
-boot up the live usb install desktop
-connect to network
-open terminal and input following:
sudo manjaro-chroot -a
you should now be at a user shell looking somthing like this:

==> Mounting (ManjaroLinux) [/dev/sdb2]
 --> mount: [/mnt]
 --> mount: [/mnt/boot/efi]
[dglt-4 /]# 

once your there, you can update mirrors and do a full update:
pacman-mirrors -g
sudo pacman -Syyu

could you also include:
lsblk -f to see how your drive is partitioned

1 Like

Update: I suddenly could boot manjaro by selecting “fallback” in grub…
Now I get over 800 MB of updates…
Anyhow, I thank you for your kind replies and will answer them here!

yes @dglt that is correct. So it’s a triple boot, actually.

@dglt here are my partitions:
sda5 is linux mint
sda6 is manjaro
´´´
[dirkson@acermanj ~]$ lsblk -f
NAME FSTYPE LABEL UUID FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT
sda
├─sda1
│ vfat ESP 10FB-9E1E 40,5M 58% /boot/efi
├─sda2

├─sda3
│ ntfs Acer E230FDF630FDD191
├─sda4
│ ntfs Recovery
│ A682FFA082FF7363
├─sda5
│ ext4 ca7ed9ec-76a7-47ef-a12e-485ab9aa8781
└─sda6
ext4 a5b067e1-267e-4663-ab57-2d9e29ba8c7f 9,7G 41% /
[dirkson@acermanj ~]$
´´´

did you purposely not install the grub from manjaro because you want to use the grub from mint?
if thats the case, im assuming you would sudo update-grub from mint to update.
edit: read post 8+9 (mint grub wont work, install manjaro grub)
if you would rather use the manjaro grub, you can follow the uefi directions for installing grub
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader#Overview

1 Like

I run a similar multi-boot set-up. Mint’s version of grub can’t boot Manjaro due to the way Manjaro needs to load the micro-code updates at boot time. Use Manjaro’s grub to boot the other OS’s.

There is a newer grub2, but Mint is not (yet) using it. Sparky Linux has the updated grub and it can boot Manjaro, but most debian derivatives (including Ubuntu) can’t.

4 Likes

so manjaro’s grub can boot all, but not all can boot manjaro.
@swayze follow the directions in the manjaro grub wiki link i posted above and it will tell you how to install manjaro’s grub and you can boot your other(windoze/linux/etc.) installs.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t installing Manjaro 3rd make it the default grub os? I have a computer at home I use for playing with random distros that has like 3 different distros on it and the grub is always the last one I install when using the default installer settings

1 Like

It depends if you select not to install grub bootloader. When installing. But always install manjaro last.

I guys, I completely screwed over my HDD. Manjaro not booting, Linux Mint not booting and Win 10 neither…
I re-partitioned the drive with a /home partition that I want to use with both Linux Mint and manjaro. Then I reinstalled Linux Mint and GRUB must have been re-written. Both Win 10 and Linux Mint boot properly.
For whatever reason the USB pen drive with the manjaro ISO can be booted from to install mmanjaro. I even flashed the USB pen drive from which I installed LM before with the manjaro ISO. Even then drive does´t get recognized by GRUB to boot from.

Here is my new set-up with the new partitions:

/dev/sda1: LABEL=“ESP” UUID=“10FB-9E1E” TYPE=“vfat” PARTLABEL=“EFI system partition” PARTUUID=“eafa11e4-8308-4b0b-bd7b-e406679d6096”
/dev/sda3: LABEL=“Acer” UUID=“E230FDF630FDD191” TYPE=“ntfs” PARTLABEL=“Basic data partition” PARTUUID=“a0659363-cef1-4bc4-a39d-ebe7079adee4”
/dev/sda4: LABEL=“Recovery” UUID=“A682FFA082FF7363” TYPE=“ntfs” PARTLABEL=“Basic data partition” PARTUUID=“7275c588-7c2a-429e-b222-d38b70383f7b”
/dev/sda5: UUID=“82f32366-1277-4f14-9d68-85a00233d6c6” TYPE=“ext4” PARTUUID=“413a365c-59e1-40a5-9f0e-1c1ee913e5f0”
/dev/sda6: UUID=“0cecf89f-2d57-4d2f-94a7-03dc5b448219” TYPE=“ext4” PARTUUID=“b67f094a-611c-48db-9a89-51beb6ca3643”
/dev/sda7: UUID=“464e0b04-50c8-4abf-a5ae-77176b6a7162” TYPE=“ext4” PARTUUID=“b903b74f-acd8-4feb-aba0-acab91bd4352”

Explanation:
/sda5 is Linux Mint
/sda6 should be manjaro after installation
/sda7 ist the /home partition

Any ideas how to install manjaro? I re-flashed several USB pen drives. …
Thanks

Read post #7

you may want to look into this, sharing a /home between mint/manjaro seems risky at best (my opinion, not fact). maybe with 2 diff user names? but why?
you can share swap partitions between manjaro/mint but i dont think sharing home folders is wise. it looks like you dont have a swap partition for either which is fine, it’s optional.

what did you use to write the manjaro iso to usb?
using etcher makes this process very simple, pick iso>insert usb>write.
if you use rufus you need to select “DD mode” otherwise it wont write the iso properly.
during install make sure manjaro installs it’s own grub that will replace the mint grub and it will detect and be able to boot other os’s.

also, did you wipe/overwrite the manjaro partition or is it still there? if its still there you can chroot in from a live environment and restore manjaro’s grub.

are you saying you cant boot the usb drive from grub? if so, your suppose to use your boot selection menu before grub even starts using whichever key (mine is F12) is used to get to boot selection and choose the usb from there and boot.

I do this on one of my computers…I used Donald as the user name for Manjaro and DJ for kde neon and it works fine and keeps configuration files and such from messing with each other but gave each user read/write access to the others home folder so I am able to access my files on both distros. I know there is probably better ways of doing this but that was my solution… besides that one time I messed up my Manjaro install so bad that I needed to start over and when I did using the same home folder all my personal settings were not messed up I just had to reinstall a few applications that don’t come peinstalled in Manjaro.

1 Like

good to know for the future maybe i can combine my separate gnome/kde installs to share a /home partition with different user names.

Hi @dglt, @djwyman, @SGS, @Librewish, @jbMacAZ thanks for your kind support!
I really wiped my partitons including Mint and Manjaro. Then reinstalled Manjaro alongside Win 10 and things work out really fine. Damn, it was such a hassle: UEFI, bootloaders, partitioning etc…

I learned a lot of things that I hoped I never have to :wink:
But all ist good now!

2 Likes

Sometimes screwing up is the best way to learn how to do something or not to do something. Glad you have it figured out now.

happens to be my specialty :grin:

1 Like

I m-i-s-100 !

Tell me if I am wrong :slight_smile:

greetings m-sgs-38x16

5 Likes