Dropping all legacy and older Nvidia drivers ?!?

I managed to uninstall all unwanted drivers and install the nvidia drivers again and finished philm’s tutorial. Now I am in process of updating. See you on the other side if all goes well :smiley:

There’s no need to compile a kernel. Only driver.
@cryptocurious, there won’t be a “next time”. Most users behave another way: if some OS doesn’t support their hw, they choose another OS. And no need to waste money on something unnecessary.

2 Likes

I was just thinking about simplifying the process for people who are intimidated by building themselves that’s all

If you use the appropriate DKMS packages, the alpm hook will take care of compiling and putting everything where it belongs. I would say it’s not very hard compared to mhwd: you need to install 3 things, instead of one.

I know its not particularly hard but the forum has been flooded with threads/posts from nvidia users in full blown panic. It was just an idea to keep the forums tidy and help the users who are intimidated by building themselves

Don’t you know what [Y/n] means?

I am on kernel 5.4 and I still use 340. Nothing wrong has happened. It wasn’t uninstalled.

There was a discussion about it earlier:

On the other installation I have noveau with kernel 5.9 and it works fine for me. I only had to change to xrender to avoid some glitches.

2 Likes

Hello @pixel,

Yes I do, and it did it automatically! I did not have the time to press n.

Did you do update in pamac, pacman or in Terminal, TTY?
I always update in Terminal to see what is going on.

when only version of driver available in system settings is not stable and have bugs, it is simply mistake, to remove older stable drivers for LTS kernel … why then even care about LTS kernels and maybe they can remove them too ? LTS kernels and easy driver selection was main advantage of Manjaro agains other distros !

1 Like

Hi @GokuSan,

I’ve done that as well.

Take note:
I did it. It was done by ME. I had to take responsibility for my actions.

I’m not doing it any more. I learned from my mistake.
If you don’t like it, go get yourself something else. Especially with that attitude.

Hi @giobego,

It is still easy especially compared to some distros.

Yes, it is more wrek than, say, Windows, the reward is also so much greater. You have much more control over everything. And it’s still easier than any other distro I’ve come across!

@philm: From me, a big heartfelt THANK YOU!

@pixel through terminal

@Mirdarthos

I donn’t konw what you have done. But I did not press YES or anything like that.

I have managed to get the drivers back. And did the update and now I face terrible square that is following my mouse cursor + things look a bit slow.

That’s not what you said ealier:

READ, and learn.

I don’t want to start a fight, or anything like that, so I’m going to shut up now.

Windows does support nvidia 340 series drivers and will do for foreseeable future. Of course, it is not something comparable with Linux.

However, the entire LTS kernel idea was based on something dependable for next 5 years which won’t break binary compatibility with drivers and X11 was feature-frozen in 1.2 because wayland is taking off. In fact, LTS kernel is why there is something like Ubuntu-LTS. Nobody would have promised a Linux with no major breakage next 5 years if there wasn’t a LTS kernel.

Most of people who opted in for LTS kernel on a rolling release did so things like this didn’t happen (wake up and see your working chip stop working).

Can people just please stop recommending a chip change? It is so Windows/MacOS like. GPU is SOLDERED to mainboard, how are we supposed to change a chip? Should we throw away working hardware because Nvidia/some trendy maintainer tells us so? The entire open source idea happened thanks to a device which was declined to be supported by HP.

4 Likes

I’ll comment from the grave here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi @Ilgaz,

Yes, I know, that’s why I use the LTS kernel myself. And I thank everyone that makes it possible!

That was not what I wan ranting about, though. I meant @GokuSan yelling and moaning about having to do (some) extra work, that was discussed previously, and then moaning and yelling at @philm about it. That’s a crappy attitude.

I read up before doing the update. And surprise, surprise, it turned out that was good!

[lowers back down into grave]

@Mirdarthos,

I have read about it, but I have missed the line where they say we will forcefully remove the drivers, that you already have. The tutorial is oki I did it. Just going again through something I have done previously its annoying and unnecessary.

Understandable, but does that justify your attitude … ?

@Mirdarthos pls stop it, even I feel like 5-year old already :upside_down_face:

Please, let’s focus on technical and not personal.