Dropping 32-bit support - Again ?!?

Only drop 32bit support if uefi32 support gets added to the 64 bit ISO's. Mass produced 32 bit windows laptops from just 5-6 years ago are still abundant and quite serviceable.

3 Likes

I feel support for the ancient x86 32bit platform should be out of scope for a rolling distro like Manjaro.

Especially if it means giving more support to the growing ARM community-which newer kernels do give hardware support benefits.

I feel Manjaro's best attraction is it's support for new hardware-especially AMD APUs and GPUs. ISOs are regularly respun with the latest kernel/mesa. Manjaro is still the only real user friendly option for an out of the box install for a RX 5700 gpu until the Fedora 32 and Ubuntu 20.04 releases. Fedora, while often has a newer kernel in their repos, doesn't update their mesa and certainly does not respin their ISOs enough for me to recommend to new APU laptop buyers.

Who is this user that needs constantly up to date packages for a very old platform?

Developers? Most 32 bit hardware is so slow that is difficult to even do web development on.

Students? Most students have 64 bit laptops these days.

Web browsing/office/kiosk? They will likely want an LTS distro-Debian/MX Linux is perfectly fine and a low maintenance option for these users.

Feels like the only people that are complaining about this are just unwilling to spend money on a proper work tool or are unwilling to change-regardless of the drain of resources on the project.

(You may also argue people that are too poor to afford a new computer within the last 15 years. I would argue most of those people keep Windows and don't feel comfortable experimenting with likely the only computer they have. I know a few of these people-they refuse any Linux. They also live with either very slow internet or capped data-making Manjaro's constant updates a burden.)

7 Likes

They should skip that number imho, it will only lead to confusion

1 Like

VoDo, jbMacAZ, jbwyatt4, antikythera, I agree with you, a lot of your argument are not critizable, but we are in 2020, some people can't change their hardware... for the moment

Be sure, I voted to add aarch64 (Manjaro arm) to the Manjaro infrastructure
I wrote this message with an Odroid n2.

1 Like

I tried Manjaro32 some time ago and i would suggest for those interested, maybe look at Debian Stable. Less breakage, since it's a fixed release, less breakage since it's freaking Debian Stable, and it's officially supported.

At this point if you have 32bit systems it's very unlikely they are your main machine, so a rolling release it's not a good idea imho.

3 Likes

I actually agree that it is fairly irrelevant.

There are lots of working 32-bit systems out there and nobody should be spending someone else's money. Not everyone can afford what to you feel like a small investment. Also, not everyone is in the same country as you and even has access to the type of inexpensive hardware you are referring to.

To me the question of it continuing on should come down to 3 things:

• Is 32-bit supported upstream so that it is practical to continue to support?
  • Are there enough people willing to maintain it that it can be well supported?
  • Are there enough people using it that makes it worth supporting?
14 Likes

That includes testers. Another distro would periodically consider dropping 32-bit support to the usual response. But, when new release ISOs were announced for testing, only the regular testers submitted test results, because they felt some obligation to the community, not because 32-bit was personally important to them.

6 Likes

I'm about to bring a new life for my old netbook Acer One 2008 1 GB of RAM 32 bit with manjaro32. But if 32 bit support is being drop, I have to reconsider again.

the arch community stay active on the 32 bit

Today I helped someone to installed one

don't forget to look the last link on the page and then the last post with the screenshot...

1 Like

Well the ISOs for 32bit are outdated. We have to see.

Nice to meet you, the simple solution is maybe (I'm not a dev) to maintain the minimum needed with arch 32...
For sure, it can't go on forever.

i686 is increasingly difficult to support as more software gains a requirement (direct or indirect) for SSE2. This means the pentium4 target is easier to support.

Currently I am the only person involved with manjaro32. The main chunk of work is done by archlinux32, and for the Manjaro overlay packages I have to rely on others uploading PKGBUILD changes to GitLab. Those changes will not always work on i686.

While I was previously supporting my EeePC901 I have moved to a dedicated router running OpenWRT so I have no personal reason to continue supporting the 32-bit target. I'm also much busier with work which buys my food and pays my bills.

I get nothing out of supporting 32-bit hardware. It's a niche platform which noone is interested in - there are no funding opportunities or hardware companies who want 32-bit x86 support. It is not "shiny" like ARM64 and no company is going to pre-install it on a brand-new $2000 laptop.

Most people using a 32-bit distro can't contribute to the hosting etc. costs for fairly obvious reasons.

There are a handful of people testing the 32-bit software. There are then those loud people who simply complain that it is broken and that I need to "get my act together" which tends to make me feel unwilling to spend my spare time supporting it.

I already feel bad enough because there are no fixes for issues people are having, most of those because developers are not targeting 32-bit. Some software just won't build. There is no fix for that.

Supporting 32-bit is not like a typical community edition which (in the main) is a re-spin. This requires hella more time and effort - it is in effect a separate distro.

The installer image is still being downloaded. People still post in the forum. People still email me directly about it.

12 Likes

Maybe a better survey would be: Who still needs 32-bit support for a CPU older than Pentium 4 with SSE2?

Well, we can move it to manjaro32.org domain and have some mirrors for it to see who is still using it. However it might also be possible to drop it for good. Maintaining a whole distro as one single person is really hard. Our current focus is on aarch64 and x86_64 by the rest of our team. Therefore it is logical to use the space currently taken by i686 architecture and replace it with the ARM repos on our main infrastructure. If there are people willing to join manjaro32.org project it might live on. With the current situation I doubt it ...

2 Likes

I hate seeing old hardware go to waste, but it is totally unrealistic to expect that one person (@jonathon) can maintain this project indefinitely.

I also have a netbook I was hoping to use this on, but at a certain point everything reaches EOL. The sad reality is all hardware reaches an expiration point eventually. Expecting such a niche segment of old hardware to be supported forever is just expecting a little too much IMO.

Thank you for maintaining this edition for as long as you have @jonathon .

11 Likes

Here is the official update from us on this matter:

• aarch64 will replace i686 on all our current mirrors
  • i686 or/and pentium4 will be archived under manjaro32.org domain
  • we will announce a call for developers and maintainers to join manjaro32.org project, if not, we mgiht keep it as an archived project in a frozen status - most likely.
7 Likes

Considering that Arch proper has already dropped 32-bit a while back, and mainstream Distros also dropped this as well. I'm not too sure if it is even worthwhile to continue with 32 bit Distros.

Aside from places like Cuba... Which I've read(not recently) are still using 386/486 systems and of course 3.5 FDD/Floppies are still very commonplace there.

manjaro32 has ceased due to a lack of time and a hardware failure

We sadly have to announce that manjaro32 project is now gone for good. @jonathon managed to hold this stronghold for longer as he even expected. For almost 9 years we supported i686. Lets keep this part of our project in good memory.

You may want to take a look at this list, if you're still interested in 32-bit architecture:

19 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by