Dropping 32-bit support - Again ?!?

Back in September 2017 we dropped 32-bit support of Manjaro ...

With manjaro32.org project however, we reintroduced that architecture. Thx to @jonathon the architecture lived on. With now three years later maintaining i686 gets really hard. So we consider to drop it once again. So what might be the plan?

There is a much better architecture called pentium4 which might give you 2% more speed thru to SSE2 optimization. Archlinux32 introduced this architecture back in May 2019.

Since i686 and/or pentium4 has a less attraction to Manjaro users in general, we might want to split Manjaro32 to a separate project with it's own mirrors similar as the Manjaro-ARM project currently has. With the free space on our worldwide mirrors we would promote Manjaro-ARM to join the Manjaro-Infrastructure and push aarch64 packages worldwide. This will also help the new PinebookPro Stock OS to be more reachable worldwide.

What does our community think?

• change i686 for pentium4 on same servers/mirrors
  • add aarch64 (ARM) to the Manjaro infrastructure and either drop 32-bit completely or split it to a new infrastructure

0 voters

5 Likes

When is the last time AMD, Intel, and Via actually made any 32-bit x86 CPUs? The last time I checked Newegg's refurbished section, fairly recent 64-bit systems can be had for low prices.

If all Linux Distros drop 32-bit x86 support right now, well I will say: Good Riddance, about damn time!!! :roll_eyes:

Irrelevant.

Plenty of functional 32-bit computers out there, and in use. The problem is the amount of work involved in keeping them up to date.

2 Likes

Irrelevant??? This is very relevant as my point is that such systems are now so old and very costly to repair it is entirely pointless to continue using them.

My Wife's computer is a 32bit HP laptop. It has Manjaro 32 (converted from archlinux32) with lxqt and works perfectly. It's also my kitchen TV when I want to see something while cooking. Lastly, it has a DVD drive, which sometimes is handy on a laptop around the house.

I'd like to see Manjaro32 move to a different infrastructure and give space to ARM. I think it will be better for both projects. I'm willing to help financially whenever I have the capacity for it, which I hope will be soon.

I have a Thinkpad T430 laptop which has an Intel 64-bit CPU... And it has a DVD-RW Drive as well....

If I may ask, why does your spouse still have a 32-bit laptop and why haven't you brought her a 64-bit one to use instead?

And why it would have to be me buying her the computer? She has the resources to do so. But to answer your question, I did offer me to buy her a better 2nd handed computer, but she says she doesn't want to. She only surfs the internet, edits some documents and reads some pdfs anyway. That machine is pretty capable of that.

7 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: antimony rocks

So, to take that farther, you would have those that restore classic cars to just take them to a recycle yard and scrap them?

4/4 of my kids, and 6/7 of my grandkids learned to type on an old 386 machine. It still boots, and runs Mavis Beacon just fine. When #7 gets old enough, she'll hit it up as well.

4 Likes

For the n-th time, 32-bit is also about saving about 15 to 20 percent of RAM usage.
In addition to being "mandatory" on older hardware of course.

4 Likes

One of the big draws for linux is bringing less new machines back to like-new performance. The latest and greatest hardware rarely runs linux easily when first released. Why shrink the "market" appeal even more by dropping support for old hardware. I can't type any faster on my i7-7500U laptop than on my old pentium III desktop(now retired). Good enough saves money and spares the land fill.

2 Likes

Old electronics can be recycled. I took my old laptop to my local Best Buy for recycling, after overwriting the entire /dev/sda with /dev/urandom.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: antimony rocks

its sad that 32bit is not popular any more

but Manjaro must look ahead, and embrace the future

in the same note... dropping flash support now

1 Like

For people using it or creating with it. I can see how it can be miss. But wow, was that thing a security nightmare. There was no way around it. It had so many problems. It was one the few thing at the time attacker can get around the linux root. Without need of root password. :exploding_head:

Hi,

Have a look here, we are in 2020 some people need the 32 bit.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-x32-install-on-old-laptop/128196

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/cannot-install-manjaro-on-old-medion-core2duo-1-8-ghz-pc/130321/12

I'm not a dev but it will be nice to maintain the minimum necessary for a manjaro (user friendly, powerfull os) 32 bit version

https://archlinux32.org/

1 Like

Yeah drop it completely even phones have 64bit for half a decade.
There still will be people who use things from 90’ but we need to go to the future not to the past. Drop it and delete it from history!

Only drop 32bit support if uefi32 support gets added to the 64 bit ISO's. Mass produced 32 bit windows laptops from just 5-6 years ago are still abundant and quite serviceable.

2 Likes

I feel support for the ancient x86 32bit platform should be out of scope for a rolling distro like Manjaro.

Especially if it means giving more support to the growing ARM community-which newer kernels do give hardware support benefits.

I feel Manjaro's best attraction is it's support for new hardware-especially AMD APUs and GPUs. ISOs are regularly respun with the latest kernel/mesa. Manjaro is still the only real user friendly option for an out of the box install for a RX 5700 gpu until the Fedora 32 and Ubuntu 20.04 releases. Fedora, while often has a newer kernel in their repos, doesn't update their mesa and certainly does not respin their ISOs enough for me to recommend to new APU laptop buyers.

Who is this user that needs constantly up to date packages for a very old platform?

Developers? Most 32 bit hardware is so slow that is difficult to even do web development on.

Students? Most students have 64 bit laptops these days.

Web browsing/office/kiosk? They will likely want an LTS distro-Debian/MX Linux is perfectly fine and a low maintenance option for these users.

Feels like the only people that are complaining about this are just unwilling to spend money on a proper work tool or are unwilling to change-regardless of the drain of resources on the project.

(You may also argue people that are too poor to afford a new computer within the last 15 years. I would argue most of those people keep Windows and don't feel comfortable experimenting with likely the only computer they have. I know a few of these people-they refuse any Linux. They also live with either very slow internet or capped data-making Manjaro's constant updates a burden.)

7 Likes

They should skip that number imho, it will only lead to confusion

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by