Dropped into emergency shell without keyboard access due to a failed hibernation

I have had an issue where upon boot I am taken through the grub bootloader but when Manjaro I boot it shows this (written down from screenshot, I really need a fix):

Error:
systemd-tmpfiles: error while loading shared libraries libidn2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd: error while loading shared libraries: libidn2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
udevadmin: error while loading shared libraries libidn2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
udevadmin: error while loading shared libraries libidn2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
ERROR: resume: hibernation device ‘UUID = 22cdea03-f721-4eb1-8ecd-7792c4d900ee’ not found
ERROR: device ‘UUID = 22cdea03-f721-4eb1-8ecd-7792c4d900ee’ not found. Skipping fsck.
mount: /new_root: can’t find UUID = 22cdea03-f721-4eb1-8ecd-7792c4d900ee .
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can’t access tty: job control turned off
[rootfs ]#
I am given no keyboard access in this shell using the laptop keyboard or either wired or wireless plugged into the USB

Reasoning:
I use a lenovo T440p laptop running the KDE version of Manjarro, I have both kernel versions 4.14 and 4.19 (I was using 4.19 at the time)

Now the only things that happened the session before was this:
Updated all software waiting using octopi
Worked for another half hour doing usual work
Closed all applications
used Suspend session to RAM (I had not used this before but thought I would give it a go)
Left my laptop unplugged overnight
I heard at around 9am the 10% battery left ding the laptop makes
By 11am when I went to turn it on, the battery was dead
Charged the laptop for half an hour but when turned back on I got the above every time I booted

What I believe happened is the saved RAM items created a new drive with a different UUID and once the power went the UUID did not exist anymore. The laptop still wants to boot from it to wake up hibernation but it can’t find it.

Attempts:
I have tried booting to a terminal from the loader but get the same result as above

Used all kernels available including Fallback

Tried to edit the Grub config to change the ‘resume’ UUID as it is different to root but no traction as the error is stored somewhere that I’m not knowledgeable enough to access

Attempted to boot to a live CD to get a terminal but I end up with:
symbol “grub…key…is…interrupted” is not found or unknown
and then I am taken to GRUB Rescue instead. Attemps made to also rescue the GRUB but to no success. This is the real kicker as I can’t access a terminal even when attempting this.

Research:
These are just a few of the websites I have used to try and fix the issue but have had no luck:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management/Suspend_and_hibernate

A lot of the fixes other people have used involve remounting the root drive but I have been unable to access any sort of terminal. If any of you have experienced this problem I would be so grateful for any assistance you can offer, I thank you in advance.

That is the clue.

Thank you so much for replying and providing some possible solutions.
As I stated later in the post I have already tried to boot into a live USB but it takes me to a GRUB rescue page instead of booting to the installation screen where I would be fine to use these commands as I saw them while researching.

This usually means the image is corrupt or you created the usb live in the wrong way.

If you used Rufus, you need to use the dd mode.

1 Like

That was it. Been a while since I’d made a new manjaro usb, Thanks for all your help!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.