Driver support on AMD RX-4XX Series on manjaro

drivers
amdgpu

I’m getting Sapphire RX460 today, are the drivers in a better state than 6 months ago? Is FGLRX still available? What about AMDGPU/PRO?

I’ve got it a couple of days ago ( XFX 4GB version ), and while haven’t yet got around to checking how are things going on Manjaro XFCE install, on Debian Stretch it runs fine with linux 4.8/4.9 and amdgpu ( non-pro ). Same on KDE Neon with latest KDE5.

In detail:

1. Debian desktop wise, XFCE + xfwm4 with opengl composition = all good.
  2. KDE Neon, opengl 3.1 rendering = all good.
  3. I rarelly play games, esp. on Linux, however Torchlight runs fine.
    4, Video accelleration runs fine ( ~5% CPU usage playing 1920x1080 H264/AVC ).
  4. Power managment seems to be good. Idle temp is around 21C, fan barelly spins1 ( ~28C after 10min Torchlight session :laughing: ) .

Inxi:

Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Baffin [Radeon RX 460] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:67ef
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.0 driver: amdgpu Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS11 (DRM 3.8.0 / 4.9.0-ck1-c2d, LLVM 3.9.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.2 Direct Rendering: Yes

MPV:

mpv -v --hwdec=vdpau --vo=vdpau ./Wagakki\ Band\ -\ Senbonzakura.mkv
...snip...
[vd] Using hardware decoding (vdpau).
...snip...
[cplayer] VO: [vdpau] 1920x1080 vdpau
[cplayer] VO: Description: VDPAU with X11

I haven’t tested amdgpu-pro, however fglrx is not available for RX460.

Also, I guess you probably know, but it’s worth mentioning just in case, for amdgpu you need linux 4.7 or later ( older version don’t have support for Polaris radeons ).

1 Fan RPM reading is coming in linux 4.10.

I’m using 4.9 so no problem there. Is amdgpu available for non ubuntus yet?

It was from the start. Its a Kernel Thing. I think you mean “amdgpu-pro” - That one is not available for Manjaro and i dont think it ever will be and I also dont think its a good option to provide this in the near future.
In general manjaro dont have OOTB polaris support, since it still shipps with Linux4.4. So you need to install a newer kernel.

I’m with latest 4.9

So you mean I will have a working amdgpu with only new kernel installed?

Huh I am running Amd R9 490X it runs fine on Manjaro. Not sure what this person is talking about, but my Amd Radeon R9 490X runs just fine on Manjaro. I never had any issues have run world of Warcraft on ultra without any issue what so and ever.

What about 7870(planning to get that instead)? What driver does it use?

there is no such GPU

every amd/ati GPU after r400 is fully supported and some r200 do not fully work

Well i think 7870 is before R series? if 7790 is supported(my old one) this might mean this is too?

yes it is fully supported and i know that 2 forums user run it also it fully support vulkan

Yes. Linux 4.4 does not have polaris support. Even the general “amdgpu”-support is bad.

Last question, does amdgpu support VDPAU

YES but you will have to install the VDPAU package

I meant 390X. lol my bad omg I must had a brain fart when I typed that.

There is a mesa implementation of VDPAU with both radeon and amdgpu. Of course it’s not complete but should cover the most important codecs

don’t buy that old 7870 card.
RX460 is the way to go. The kernel driver for this specific card was added with 4.8.

amdgpu outperforms flgrx in most games anyway - and Kernel 4.9 is stable.
FGLRX will be dropped anyway at some point, AMD already stopped developing it over 1 year ago (they develop amdgpu and amdgpu-pro instead).

Kernel 4.9 is the new LTS release, and therefore the next iso’s will use that one as their base. (You can always create isos that include the kernel you want on your own, the guide for that is somewhere here in the forums)

wouldn’t buy this one because its horrible weak by design. As replacement for a 7670 it would be better to buy a used R9 285, R9 380(x) but tbh i would try to get a RX470 as minimum.

BTW i’m really pissed off by the RX series because its out for month and still no “nano” (mini ITX/µATX) formfactor

depends on price DELTA